About a month ago Yahoo Mail included a Toolbar just above the text area. Since that time I have not been able to SEND or REPLY to any mai from this computer. I notified Yahoo about this and they suggested that FireFox 0.8 was incompatible with the Color/Graphics mode and suggested that I install a plug-in.. Since the computer that I am using is at a public library I can not install the plug-in on my own. However, I have passed on the information to the library personnel who manage the network. Unfortunately, things are moving slower than I expected. Yahoo also suggested that I could change to text mode and see if that solved the problem. Unfortunately it did not. Activating the SEND button In either text mode or color/graphics mode results in no action being taken.

Although have been able to send mail from another library which uses FireFox 1.2, I would still like to resolve this issue.

Has anyone else encountered this problem in the last month and do you have a solution? Thanks in advance for any help.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

I don't think that you will find an easy solution to this issue without aid from the librarians. There is only so much that you can do to fix a problem on a public machine without violating the terms of use. This is a good example of when Social Engineering is more valuable than technical know-how.

Tell the librarians that your security is at risk and so is their network since the version of Firefox is severely outdated (the current version is 1.5). Furthermore, tell them that it is very easy to update Firefox. All they have to do is log into the computer as a user that has priviledges to update the software (since I assume that they have the systems locked down), load Firefox, click Help, and select "Check for Updates". This will download and install the updates. All that they have to do is click a few buttons, and Firefox will update itself.

This is apparently an intermittent problem (see Source for some other reports of it) that goes away after a while. My machine is working fine right now (fingers crossed!)

The posting dates, being six months old, make me wonder if you shouldn't update Firefox to the latest 2.x version if not the 3.0 version (some people say that one's buggy. Again, I haven't had any problems).

To update, click the Help->Check for Updates menu item.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.