hi,
i m using windows 7(64-bit). I have external hdd-100GB. But it doesn't show up in my windows. I have tried it in another pc(& in my desktop before i installed this windows) and it works fine, so it must be a problem with my windows. I have changed from IDE mode to AHCI mode to check but it's still same. It isn't working. It doesn't show up in Device manager or anywhere , windows simply doesn't catch it. I have tried different usb ports.

please help me!!!

i m in big trouble because of this.

thanks in Advance.

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

How about using Disk Manager (diskmgmt.msc) and here you can assign a drive letter to it so that you can see it in explorer.

Are other USB devices can be detected on your computer? If yes, then of course there's a problem either the USB external cable or Windows itself...

How about using Disk Manager (diskmgmt.msc) and here you can assign a drive letter to it so that you can see it in explorer.

thanks for the advice but it didn't work.

Are other USB devices can be detected on your computer? If yes, then of course there's a problem either the USB external cable or Windows itself...

Yeah, any other usb devics are working fine, no probs with them. I have checked the cable, it's fine also. I think it's the windows that's making the prob. but thanks.

the problem is solved. I just changed from AHCI to IDE and it detected the HDD but it isn't showing my CD-ROM. So, i actually don't know what happened.

The problem is solved but if anyone can help me understand why it happened and why it's not showing my cd-rom, It will be appreciated.

Your cd-rom might actually use SATA cable (red thin cable) instead of IDE cable (usually white and wide cable) so if you set yours from AHCI (Sata) to IDE, most SATA hardware will not work...

Usually setting up ACHI or IDE just to detect an external HDD with USB port seems unlikely to happen because external can run in both mode without any problem.

To confirms things up, you can try with another external (if you had another one) and test it on your computer. If it can't detect yours, then that means you have a missing driver that can let external to run in AHCI mode.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.