I am running Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit.
I am now getting a window coming up saying:
'The application was unable to start correctly (0xC0000142)'
when I run almost any program. A second click brings that program up normally.
My searches on this error number imply that there might be something wrong with the registry, but I do not want to run any kind of registry cleaner until I am sure that is where the problem is.
My scans for malware have not turned up anything.
If it is the registry what should I use?
If it isn't, where do I go from here?

Recommended Answers

All 15 Replies

Member Avatar for W1ND0W5

Usually this error is to do with DLL initialisation. Have you tried inserting your Windows DVD and running System File Checker?

commented: Nice thinking +10

Try what W1NDOW5 said. Alternatively, you can always download a registry cleaner. Or you can use the windows 7 installation disk, insert it. Go to start and select run and type cmd. When DOS prompt shows, type sfc/scannow

Try what W1NDOW5 said. Alternatively, you can always download a registry cleaner. Or you can use the windows 7 installation disk, insert it. Go to start and select run and type cmd. When DOS prompt shows, type sfc/scannow

Thanks for that, if you're trying to find a decent registry cleaner Piriform's CCleaner has always worked for me. Do what jingda said to run the system file checker.

Ran sfc, that came up with no problems at all. Looking a CCleaner now.

Ok, come back with results ASAP

A very good friend has warned me not to run any registry cleaner, under any conditions whatsoever!
I've looked at what CCleaner says in it's Registry cleaner mode, and I can't see anything general enough to cause the kind of problem.
The types of error break down into the following categories
===
ActiveX/COM Issue
Installer Reference Issue (mostly Microsoft Silverlight)
Invalid or empty file class
Missing Shared DLL (mostly Microsoft.NET/Framework)
Missing TypeLib reference
Obsolete software key
Unused File extension
Unused registry key
====
so how does that help me with my problem?

Just clean it and see if it helps. If no then let us know.

Also can you give us a HijackThis log? This could point to any issues with your system at all.

Well. how about that for a bust. I ran CCleaner's registry fix and the error came up after HijackThis ran and tried to open Notepad to show the results!

I have renamed the log file as txt and attached it to this post (it does go on a bit!)

Hmmm... The logs don't show anything too interesting. Does the system function properly in Safe Mode?

That's the thing. When I tried it, I didn't get anything,but the question is, was I on for long enough. The problem is intermittent but VERY annoying, so I can't say for certain.

Just try using the system in Safe Mode for a while as it looks to me like a process stopping the system from functioning right. Try disabling some startup items you don't need.

plz tell me how fix the 0xc0000142

Pl see form youtube video. site

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.