My company is looking for better remote desktop software. We are currently using Webex. Ive trailed a lot, but one thing that keeps happening is that they are having trouble with our firewall which we are not going to allow exceptions through (already spoken to boss). Does anyone know of a good remote software solution that they use in their company?

Company has about 500 people.

Recommended Answers

All 19 Replies

My company is looking for better remote desktop software. We are currently using Webex. Ive trailed a lot, but one thing that keeps happening is that they are having trouble with our firewall which we are not going to allow exceptions through (already spoken to boss). Does anyone know of a good remote software solution that they use in their company?

Company has about 500 people.

I've used Teamviewer and am happy with it. It works through most firewalls. The end user would run a small client, and give you the ID and Password for you to remote in.

TightVNC, teamviewer or LogMeIn should be good enough

I've been happy with TeamViewer. It can also be set up to allow remote access on unattended machines (to be used with caution).

try TeamViewer. You can download it here

Another thing I like about Teamviewer is that you don't have to install it to use it - something that makes my users happy. It's also convenient to carry around on a stick in case I want to remote home from somewhere.

Another thing I like about Teamviewer is that you don't have to install it to use it

What i love most about it is that its free. Who does not like a frebie? ;)

Teamviewer for me top;)

LogMein : super easy to use and download i use it almost everyday while in class. im a college student and i use LogMein and take notes on my laptop but is stored on my desktop in my room! its an awesome program!

TeamViewer
Logmein
VNC

And Many others..

I have never seen anything better than TeamViewer 6 for this job.
I know, I'm the millionth person to tell you this.
And by the way, I'm pretty sure windows already has a remote desktop connection feature built in...

Hope I helped... albeit not much more than anyone else :P
-Emanfman

P.S. I don't think LogMeIn is the best thing to use... it's a bit complicated, and expensive, too - but it is still an option...

I use logmein. It works well and seems to go through any firewalls without any problems. However it does have a VPN add on called Hamachi. Funny thing is, in some of the consumer versions on Norton, it needed an exception, but in the commercial version on Norton, it worked fine as is. Very strange.

Heh. All of these suggestions.

Let's try and get back to basics and troubleshoot your issue, shall we:

I understand if the boss wants to "not allow exceptions". That is his prerogative. But with 500 computers, one would expect that he woudld just let the internal IT dept handle it.

so:
please, so that I know, and it may help, WHY won't he allow exceptions?

more importantly:

are all of these inside the same network? what I mean is are they all inside one physical building? or do people remote in from outside the LAN?

what type of firewall is implemented? software based, hardware based, or both?
does each PC run a firewall, or is there one big corporate one that filters all of the traffic?

how long have you used your current Remote software, and what others have you tried?
what is your position /role inside the company? I just have this feeling that you are not part of any IT support team, so I am asking.

What are you using the Remote desktop for?

do users need to be able to interact at the same time, or is this for one admin to make background changes, etc?

that should give me an idea of the next lot of questions that I need to ask you...

Remote applications often flag AV...so it may take a few times for you to figure a way around this. We use ScreenConnect to support ~170 employees. http://www.screenconnect.com/

TeamViewer the best for Me

Do you prefer hosted solution, which charges monthly fee
1. GoToAssist Express, 69/month
2. LogMeIn Rescue, 129/month

Or appliance-based solution, which has not recurring fee
1. RHUB remote support appliance (http://www.rhubcom.com/), 1k
2. Bomgar (http://www.bomgar.com/), 2k + license fee

we use a lot of logmein. you are able to reboot the pc , it doesn't freeze up on the windows 7 popup messages and you can use the free version for almost everything. logmein rescue is awesome also for support.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.