I recently had a computer which suddenly lost support for its CD drives. The original was an IDE drive and so i tried a SATA and even an external USB cd drive. None would be recognized by the pc. It would say "found new hardware" but never given a drive number or load a cd. So i went to reformat the HD and start over but since it couldnt use the cd drive I used another pc to do the job. When I put the HD back into the original computer it says no bootable device even though it can find the drive and scan it for hardware problems "even though it found none" Oh and this CD drive still isnt coming up in the BIOS. Any ideas will be very welcome :)

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

I recently had a computer which suddenly lost support for its CD drives. The original was an IDE drive and so i tried a SATA and even an external USB cd drive. None would be recognized by the pc. It would say "found new hardware" but never given a drive number or load a cd.

This, I believe, was the simplest solution to your problem before.
However, since you reformatted, it will not help, nevertheless, I tell you so you know for later use, as I am sure you'll need it again.

Regardless to your problem now.
I don't know why your CD-rom is not recognized in the BIOS.
Still, unless both computers have the same specifications, ( especially motherboard ), the installation you did in that hard drive will work properly only for that computer where the installation was made. Taking that hard drive and inserting it into another piece of hardware is most like not to be able to work.

This, I believe, was the simplest solution to your problem before.
However, since you reformatted, it will not help, nevertheless, I tell you so you know for later use, as I am sure you'll need it again.

Regardless to your problem now.
I don't know why your CD-rom is not recognized in the BIOS.
Still, unless both computers have the same specifications, ( especially motherboard ), the installation you did in that hard drive will work properly only for that computer where the installation was made. Taking that hard drive and inserting it into another piece of hardware is most like not to be able to work.

well said.unplug none essential hardware and install OS on HDD plugged in your mobo.reconnect other hardware after the install of OS and essential programs.

how can you install an OS onto a pc which cant detect any cd drive?

you can jump your BIOS, try another cd drive (preferably IDE) run a detection in BIOS.

What haapens when you swop your hd connectors with your cd connectors.anything new.cos theres no way it will work if you install the OS in another machine with your HD in it

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.