I have a W2K system that suddenly locked. I had not noticed any slow downs or other booting problems. I shut my computer down while my cell phone was still charging thru the USB port. I don't know if that could have caused the problem to begin with. anyway, when I realized my cell phone was still attached, I unplugged it and rebooted the computer. I was promptly met with the following
***STOP:0x0000007b(0x81EAE190,0xC0000032,0x00000000,0x00000000) Inaccessible_Boot_Device
I followed the onscreen suggestion and restarted my system. same screen I even plugged the cell phone back in and restarted same screen. The reason I am writing you guys is all the online help seems to be addressing WinXP or installing something. I was not installing anything. I have W2K pro. I just want to get my files off that system, I have since bought a new laptop (well actually 2 laptops) But I really need to get into the old system if it is at all possible. I really don't think the cell phone had anything to do with it, but I don't know that for sure. All the links I have googled send me to microsoft's website which most links for the W2K solution no longer work or they are addressing the installation of WIN XP. I cannot seem to find an answer that addresses my system W2K Pro installed on a Compaq EVO W4000 workstation. Is it possible to get help directed towards my system or is it just too late?:sweat: thanks in advance :icon_razz:

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

hi,did you try safe mode .hitting f8 on bootup .
or if no go to same mode try the safe mode command prompt and type this in
"chkdsk /r" with out the "
if thats a no go ,do you have w2kpro disk you could boot to and use the recovery option and type in the chkdsk /r

no go on those suggestions. I can't boot to anything. It gets about halfway there and freezes for about 10 seconds and then goes back to the BSOD. And unfortunately I no longer have my disk. Maybe microsoft will make me a recovery disk? I still have my purchase info, but they no longer support w2k :'(

if you have a floppy drive you can download 4 flopper bootdisk set from this site ,its safe i have been using the site for years now ,good luck .with the setup disk you should be able to run the chkdsk i think
http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

:icon_biggrin: WOW this looks promising. I will try this as soon as the house quiets down a bit. THANKS! I will let you know how it turns out for sure.

I never solved this problem, I just dismantled the system and bought a new one. Lost all my files though

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.