Hello everyone, i seem to have a problem that i can't find the answer to and is somewhat hard to explain.
It started when i needed to switch PCI-E cards between a Geforce 7900gt to a GeForce 7600gs, i did so without taking into consideration any drivers installed, as i figured the drivers should be the same and it seemed like a good idea at the time, what happened was the following:
Computer booted up, loaded BIOS and continued to load windows.
As soon as windows loaded the screen turned black, to be exact the LCD monitor's back light was on (meaning the screen isn't turned off) but all its showing is black...
I've attempted to fix this in numerous way, which none have seemed to work.
I tried getting into safemode to uninstall the previously installed video drivers only to find out that safemode isn't working.
I tried using the "VGA Mode" option available in the F8 bootup menu, to which windows loaded fine.
What i did then was download a new set of drivers from the Nvidia website and uninstall the previous ones, i didn't want to install the new drivers right away as i wanted windows to load without any drivers to let the settings take effect so i restarted my computer.
After which the problem repeated itself, i was back in square one and now no option in the F8 menu had any effect.
What i attempted to do next was repair my windows using the installation disk, which also seemed like a good idea however, as soon as windows copied its needed files into the hard drive and rebooted to continue the installation i got the same problem, so now not only do i have a black screen but its also stuck in the windows installation phase (before i attempted the windows repair option i was able to access my computer via network, which meant that windows was working fine but i just wasn't able to see it)
I even tried switching monitors video cards (had an old PCI video card laying around)
which brings me here, i have ran out of ideas and am clueless as to what else i could do.
Thanks for reading!

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

Have you ever tried using your old video card again? is it still in "BLACK SCREEN MODE"? :-/

i wish i could but that card is in the computer store due to hardware failures, its going to be weeks before i get it back

Try installing your VC to another unit and check if it is working properly. When it works, there is something wrong in your pc. When it doesn't work, well try to check if your item is in good condition. and you stated earlier that you downloaded drivers. If ever just try to re-install the driver.

I'm pretty sure the vc is working properly as i've installed another windows on the same computer but on a different hard drive, which means that this is most definitely a software issue.
Also, i wish i could reinstall the drivers but i cant really access the faulty windows.
I think that if i could somehow reset the video card settings via the registry or maybe even delete the existing video card driver outside of windows i could fix it, though i'm not sure how to exactly...

maybe a chkdsk /f will help. boot to the windows recovery "R" and at the prompt do the chkdsk / f there

I did it on the different computer, here are the results:

The type of the file system is NTFS.

CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 3)...
File verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 3)...
Index verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying security descriptors (stage 3 of 3)...
Security descriptor verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
Usn Journal verification completed.
CHKDSK discovered free space marked as allocated in the
master file table (MFT) bitmap.
Windows has made corrections to the file system.

78140128 KB total disk space.
74604184 KB in 304443 files.
115932 KB in 20569 indexes.
0 KB in bad sectors.
487552 KB in use by the system.
65536 KB occupied by the log file.
2932460 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
19535032 total allocation units on disk.
733115 allocation units available on disk.

Think that had any effect?

Member Avatar for novist4me

what happens if you remove the card and let the onboard video take over?

I did it on the different computer, here are the results:

Think that had any effect?

i don't know you tell me ,did it make any difference when you tried it !

i don't know you tell me ,did it make any difference when you tried it !

Yeah sorry for the vague reply, the answer is no, it did not have any effect :(
novist4me: i can't tell as i don't have an onboard video on the motherboard.
On another note i tried disabling 2 services via the windows cd recovery console, one named "VGAsave" and the other is the geforce display driver, both had no effect and the symptoms are the same

when you attempted the repair reload of windows did you format the drive or were you just installing it over or alongside the original install of windows .
I think you windows is corrupt! so the quickest and easiest solution now would be to formatt and reinstall windows

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.