I did some registry tweaks and must have done something wrong because when I try to send an e-mail with an attachment (video) I get this:

The message could not be sent because its size exceeded the server's limit. You can use the option, located in Tools | Accounts | Properties | Advanced, to break messages into smaller parts. Subject 'Roxy "The Baddest Cat In The West"', Account: 'pop.telus.net', Server: 'smtp.telus.net', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '552 5.2.3 DATA size exceeds maximum permitted', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 552, Error Number: 0x800CCC6D1 Click the Start button, then RUN.

I've used Easy Cleaner to clean the registry but the problem still exists.

Can someone please help me?

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

Hello,

Your problem is that the file you are trying to attach to the email is too large. Most email servers limit the size of an attachment to less than 10MB.

you can unistall/reinstall outlook express

but that requires instruction, another email provider may support larger attachments.

Hello,

Your problem is that the file you are trying to attach to the email is too large. Most email servers limit the size of an attachment to less than 10MB.

No, I don't think that's it because it won't send any e-mails now, properly. I sent one to myself using my other address and it indicated that it had been sent but without the attachment. Then when I looked at the received message, it indicated an attachment. But when I opened it (I've tried both videos & photos) it only showed the first frame and all the others were icons.

Does this have something to do with the program that opens videos and photos?

I don't know if you need this, but I've attached some system info just in case.

Thank you very much for your time

i still maintain that the file you were trying to attach was to large. The error message you posted even tells you this:

The message could not be sent because its size exceeded the server's limit.

There is nothing you can do on your local computer to change the size of the file the server will except. Email error messages are pretty straight forward and this one is a regularly seen error. Either the email server that you transmit your email through or the one at the other end that holds the message till the recipient retrieves it, has a limit to the size of a file you can attach.

i still maintain that the file you were trying to attach was to large. The error message you posted even tells you this:

There is nothing you can do on your local computer to change the size of the file the server will except. Email error messages are pretty straight forward and this one is a regularly seen error. Either the email server that you transmit your email through or the one at the other end that holds the message till the recipient retrieves it, has a limit to the size of a file you can attach.

I've got some more info. I've been reading all I can on outlook error messages and came to a site that had me testing my smtp server connection using telnet, which I tried but the connection failed. So that's where I am now. Trying to figure out how to connect to my smtp server

your email provider's smtp address can probably be found on thier website. i say 'probably' because some providers' plans don't support the use of Outlook(or other email handlers) unless you upgrade your plan. when you do find the smtp address. check to make sure it matches what is in your account settings in Outlook.

I figured out what happened. I had tried to send an e-mail a few days ago with a very large attachment which wouldn't go through. It was sent to my outbox and every time I tried to send another e-mail, Outlook Express would try to send this large one in my outbox first. So, it wouldn't go through and it blocked any other e-mails from going through as well.

Thanks to all

From Telus FAQ[who allow Outlook as an email client...]:
4. Are there any limitation restrictions on the file size transfer (email size)?
Messages are limited to 10MB to ensure quality of service.
"So, it wouldn't go through and it blocked any other e-mails from going through as well."... Yep, it likely was first in the queue to be sent.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.