A friend has an Emachine that stopped working after a power outage. He replaced the CPU with one athat was faster, as he thought it blew. Afterwards he started it and got a message that the CPU fan was bad then it shut down as if the CPU overheated. When I took the CPU out in the first place It didn't have a fan, just a heatsink. Could the faster processor require a cooling fan and not just a heat sink? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

All modern CPUs should have a fan and a heat sink. Other than media machines specifically designed to be silent,I haven't seen a fanless desktop CPU since I had a Pentium 1

,not sure with Emachines ,i think they would have a fan on the heartsinc ,as they are built like any normal tower for the most part ,unlike Dell , a lot of Dell computer towers appear to only heatsinc ,but have a plastic channel leading to the case fan

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.