I spent a day this week trying to uninstall Ubuntu and reinstalling xp.

I used both gparted to delete the linux partion and linux's fdisk m d. I even did full ntfs format in xp install. I used two different xp cds of different xp versions.

Both would copy the install files then reboot. On reboot, with first xp version, it just said cannot load OS; similarly, with second xp version, it just blinked at me indefinitly. Or on this reboot after file copy, if I hit any key to boot from cd, it would just spin the cd disc and nothing would happen for twenty minutes.

Am I missing some step to uninstall linux grub2? Should I hit a key on this reboot or not. Should I just wait for two hours for machine to awaken and continue the xp install?

The machine used to run xp fine.

You need to restore the Windows boot loader, which you can do if you boot from the installation disc and go to the repair/recovery mode. Then, you run the commands from a cmd.exe command line "fixmbr" and/or "fixboot". Here is a link to an Ubuntu How-To posting about how to do this: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=740221

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.