Hi peeps, I wonder if you can help me. My sis's got an asus notebook F50SL Series which is now unusable, very sluggish and she can't run anything on it anymore. I was wondering if it would be a good idea to format it and install xp on it. At the moment they have vista on it, but I don't trust vista, and I think xp might be better.
ANybody's done this? I know it has a recovery partition, but I am thinking to wipe off everything including that partition
any advice welcome
thanks

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

the choice is yours in this case ,as for not trusting Vista ,whats not to trust ,we have it here on a laptop ,running fine almost 3 1/2 years now , orignal install never a glitch .
if i were you i would check to make sure that the Asus site has all the drivers you will nedd for winxp ,also i would leave the Vista partition just in case you need to go back to it

Hi , downgrading to XP Windows will be a cost penalty and as such and taking into account you seeming to be unfamiliar with the subject laptop i would suggest first reinstalling the native os version , update to latest driver versions, and then upgrade to the latest service pack, install security suite and desired application programs and carefully evaluate performance and resouce usage like ram memory usage
Check also any BIOS updates and update if relevant as these fixes can be critical to performance
You might find that the subject computer processes satisfactorily - if not wait until later this year and install Windows 8 upgrade (which i am confident will solve any os related issues)

right so I will leave vista on then, is formatting a laptop with vista as easy as xp? I seem to understand that I need to leave the vista partition on (where is it?) and then format the other one. SO I take I don't need the vista cd?

the vista partition,would be the recovery partition .vist recover will pretty much install itself once you start it

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.