Dear,
I have hidden my folder in an external hard drive by using Wondershare SafeLock software but now I have forgotten my password and can not enter the software to unhide my folder and get access to it. Is there any way to unhide this folder using other softwares or methods?

Recommended Answers

All 14 Replies

Contact technical support at Wondershare. If you are a genuine customer/license holder for the product and can prove that to their satisfaction, perhaps they will be able to help. However, generally speaking, the rule of thumb is do not forget your encryption password...

A DaniWeb rule, though, is not to ask for help to pursue 'any illegal activity including, but not limited to, hacking and spamming' - and getting access to encrypted files for which you do not have the password could fall under the hacking bit as we have no idea if you are actually the rightful owner or not.

Thanks. I understand the situation but the problem is not supporting the software. I contacted them but they told me that they no longer support this software. Is there any way that I can access my files through other ways? I mean unhiding the files.

SafeLock software

most of us only use a few different passwords ,maybe you do to, keep trying to guess it as i think its you best[maybe only] option ,just a note for future use ,write down password and keep in safe[place]

I have the same problem

commented: Hi, Could you solve your problem? +0

yeah try to uninstall your Wondershare software and re-start your computer. Hope it works.

I don't know how your software locks your folders, but an older program, FolderLock, used a rootkit to lock/hide folders (unfortunately, FolderLock didn't hide the folders and files when accessed from another computer on the LAN). If your software also uses a rootkit to function you might try a rootkit remover. RootkitRevealer is from SysInternals/Microsoft and can be downloaded and used at no charge. Granted, this is a long shot but it's worth a try.

commented: Dear Jim, I could find my files by GMER Rootkit Detector. Just do not know how can I restore them. Do you have any idea? +0

Thanks Jim, even with RootkitRevealer, the problem still exists but it was a good idea. The problem is not detecting the folder by any operating system. Is there any way to find the root files in a hard drive without using the operating system while they are hidden by a software like SafeLock?

The usual failsafe method is to download and burn a Linux LiveCD and boot from that then go looking for the folder/files.

have you tried doing the basic unhide method? if not just unhide the files on the folder options on control panel and uncheck hide protected system files........good luck

Dear Reverened Jim, I could find my files by GMER Rootkit Detector. Just do not know how can I restore them. Do you have any idea?

Try installing the software again on your computer. The new installation will remove the previous files, will resolve the issue

@johhny, unfortunately without knowing the password, it is impossible to uninstall the software.

Umphh... have you tried some softwares like, say, License Crawler? That one in particular searches through your registry for likely password hashes. It takes a while, and presents a list you have to glance through, but it does find stuff.
http://www.klinzmann.name/licensecrawler.htm
-pull it from Dropbox.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.