OK I noticed this just today which is really annoying. I tried to view some streaming videos earlier and I noticed that instead of the site using my updated WMP, it used the Classic version which I have no idea how this happened because I never changed any settings. And on top of that the video wasn't even playing. I noticed this problem on several sites. So I just wanted to know if there's a way to change it back to where it uses WMP instead of the Classic version. Thanks in advance.

I've also noticed that my keyboard commands has changed. Like for example, my arrows keys weren't working when I was typing, and when I pressed the apostrophe (') key, it brought up the "Find" feature for Firefox which is wierd. And now it's working again. So now I'm at the point where I think something has gotten into my system and changed things around. Any ideas?

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

The Firefox bugs you are experiencing were introduced with Firefox 1.5.0.2; your system is fine in that respect. Whenever you have a focus problem with Firefox, minimize and maximize the window and it should go away (temporarily). It fixes the keyboard not working, as well as the 'find-as-you-type' popping up when it's not supposed to.

As far as WMP, it sounds like you have actually installed Media Player Classic (not to be confused with a Microsoft product). If you've installed Quicktime or Real alternative, or the like, then you can simply uninstall Media Player Classic in Add/Remove programs.

As far as WMP, it sounds like you have actually installed Media Player Classic (not to be confused with a Microsoft product). If you've installed Quicktime or Real alternative, or the like, then you can simply uninstall Media Player Classic in Add/Remove programs.

But I've never downloaded the Windows Classic version or a Quicktime or Real alternative. Also WMP doesn't even show up in my Add/Remove Programs list (but it does show Viewpoint Media Player...:?:) So becuase of that, I went to try and download WMP 10 again, but it says I already have a more recent version on my PC, so it won't install. Any more suggestions?

I suppose that mplayer2 is opening... if you go to Start > Run > and type mplayer2, does it open what you're talking about? It's pretty odd that would happen.
Anyway, right-click on the file you want to play with WMP, choose Open With > Choose Program... > then click Browse, and navigate to Program Files\Windows Media Player, and choose wmplayer.exe. Checkmark the box that says "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file". Alternatively, Start > Run > wmplayer.exe. Once WMP opens, go to Tools > Options > File Types > and checkmark all of the file types you want it to take over.

Also, you may want to uninstall Veiwpoint media player, as it is adware, or contains it.

I suppose that mplayer2 is opening... if you go to Start > Run > and type mplayer2, does it open what you're talking about? It's pretty odd that would happen.
Anyway, right-click on the file you want to play with WMP, choose Open With > Choose Program... > then click Browse, and navigate to Program Files\Windows Media Player, and choose wmplayer.exe. Checkmark the box that says "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file". Alternatively, Start > Run > wmplayer.exe. Once WMP opens, go to Tools > Options > File Types > and checkmark all of the file types you want it to take over.

yes when i Run "mplayer2" the classic edition comes up. Now my regular WMP works when I play videos or music, but the classic player still is used whenever I view a streaming video on a website (viewing the NBA playoffs highlights on NBA.com). And that's where the problem lies. Whenever I open music, WMP 10 is used, but all of a sudden when I watched streaming video on a website, the classic version is used. And I don't know how this happened.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.