All the browsers including Chrome, Firefox and IE8 are not working. When I open them, it keeps loading the page but does open the website. Internet Connectivity is there because utorrent is working. I reinstalled chrome but that did't work. I cleaned up the browsers hisotry, also did "ipconfig/renew", "ipconfig/flushdns" but in vain. I have another browser "Epic", that is working but not any other. Any suggestions on how can I make them work?

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Windows XP, 7, or what OS are you using?

Usually, this is a DNS issue, which can happen if your ISP's DNS server isn't working properly. This has been an issue for me in the past. You can reconfigure your TCP/IP network settings to use another DNS server than the one that your DHCP device (router or ISP) provides. If you think this may be the case, I can provide some TLD (top-level comain) DNS server raw IP addresses that you can use to test this hypothesis.

Firewall programs often corrupt, especially when they expire. I have seen problems with the majority of the 'bigs'. Remove TrendMicro, Norton, McAfee or whatever using the removal tools available from the mfr's site. Restart the computer and your browsing ability is likely to be restored. Be sure to reinstall some protection afterward.

Your TCP connectivity is obviously working as uTorrent & Epic are successful.

As stated above, system remnants from previously installed third party firewalls can also cause issues. Also make sure that Windows Firewall is not blocking your particular browser's executables.

DHCP and DNS are not your issue (ipconfig). Make sure that your failed web browsers are not configured to use a proxy.

Re-install your your troublesome web browsers.

Repair Internet Explorer with Fix IE Utility - http://www.thewindowsclub.com/repair-internet-explorer-with-fix-ie-utility
or try Microsoft's instructions - How to reinstall or repair Internet Explorer in Windows 7, Windows Vista, and Windows XP - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318378

Thanks all for the replies. I tried several things reading from different forums. Did System restore but again in vain. I guess TCP connectivity might not be an issue.

Finally did a format(not just because of this obvs, it was getting slow too for n reasons). Now everything is working but still why it was not working earlier is a mystery. :-)

Most likely you once had a third party firewall installed. Sometimes, re-installing a firewall and then doing an uninstall using Revo Uninstaller using "advanced scan" will do the trick. Repairing the winsock can also sometimes clear up such issues.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.