This is a list of my startup programs. The 2 files circled come up as not found when I boot up and I have to click OK to get the computer to continue the boot. I have unchecked them but the configuration window will come up during the boot process and I'd rather just have a normal boot. Is there anyway to delete these files. I can't even seem to find them.

http://fototime.com/77BD472DCD3518A/orig.jpg

Recommended Answers

All 14 Replies

the locations look to be registry entries. deleting those entries from the registry should do the trick.

Click on start, click on run, type regedit. Hit enter.

When the registry editor opens navigate to the location shown on the pic you provided. Delete those entries.

Sounds all good in theory but I already went to that registry entry and really couldn't see what I should delete.

Can you see what the problem is? Here is the entry info

http://fototime.com/2CB6A240DA785FC/orig.jpg

Couple of ways to do this...
Rclick the AppInit_DLLS Value name, choose Modify or Modify Binary Data, sweep your cursor across the data field to highlight and choose Delete.
Better still is to create this batch file and run it - it will expose hidden values in AppInit_DLLS data, and expose any hidden value names:
Save these two lines in a notepad as query.bat to your desktop, dclicking it will pop rq.txt.

reg query "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows" >rq.txt
start rq.txt

You should see this [default \Windows subkey]:

! REG.EXE VERSION 3.0

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows
    DeviceNotSelectedTimeout    REG_SZ  15
    GDIProcessHandleQuota   REG_DWORD   0x2710
    Spooler REG_SZ  yes
    swapdisk    REG_SZ  
    TransmissionRetryTimeout    REG_SZ  90
    USERProcessHandleQuota  REG_DWORD   0x2710
    AppInit_DLLs    REG_SZ

Then you could delete that \Windows subkey and add it back with this reg file [attached] of the default Currentversion\Windows subkey. Save all the content via Notepad as Windowsdefault.reg [no .txt extension], then dclick the file to merge it; a msg about success should pop. If it does not, then rclick the file, choose Merge.

Mods, I have decided that if your code detection monster finds code in my innocuous posts then it is simplest to just code the whole damn thing. Looks bad, doesn't it?

I made the query.bat and ran it and it gave me the same results from which I assume is you registry.

I made the query.bat file and ran it. I got the same results as you without your line 10

! REG.EXE VERSION 3.0

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows
    AppInit_DLLs    REG_SZ  
    DeviceNotSelectedTimeout    REG_SZ  15
    GDIProcessHandleQuota   REG_DWORD   0x2710
    Spooler REG_SZ  yes
    swapdisk    REG_SZ  
    TransmissionRetryTimeout    REG_SZ  90
    USERProcessHandleQuota  REG_DWORD   0x2710

My key shows an entry from my AV at AppInit_DLLS.. otherwise it's the same as M$'s default key.
Nothing showed in the Modify Binary data action? Then do as Jim suggested and get Autoruns, see what shows there.

Have you looked is the "Startup" folder in the "Program Files" folders/menu?

Start > All Programs > Startup

Are there any shortcuts in there that shouldn't be in there?

I didn't think to do this. But I found nothing there out of the ordinary. Thanks.

Finally got it deleted. I ended up using Ccleaners Startup editor. It showed up in there and they have a delete function. Since I had two files with the same name it only saw one of them at a time. I had to delete one then close the program and reopen it and delete the other. Either way, they are gone now.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.