how to join a computer to a domain....i tried using this command in the command propmt------> ( netdom join servere /domain:TeamA.com /userd:TeamA\Team /passwordd:******** )

(server) is the name of the computer i wnt to join to ma domain.

(/domain:TeamA.com) TeamA.com is the name of my domain.

(/userd:TeamA\Team) Team is the user name of my domain ...when i created my domain using DCPROMO..TEAM whats the username i specified.

(/passwordd:******** ) this is the password of my domain

the computer i want to add to my domain is using windows 7.....while my server is running on a vmware as a guet os on that computer i whant to add to my domain.

Recommended Answers

All 26 Replies

Are you trying to learn how to use netdom? That command is just one way of doing it. If you just need to join the domain, from the workstation, follow these instructions: http://windows.microsoft.com/is-is/windows7/connect-your-computer-to-a-domain

You will need to perform this while using a domain account that has permissions and rights to join computers to the domain.

commented: yeah i am running the winserver in a vmware......and i wnt to add the windows which is intalled on my machin....an which my vmware is intalled on it to run winserver.....i want to add it to my domain wich is the vmware os.....i have tried the one on the l +0

yeah i am running the winserver in a vmware......and i wnt to add the windows which is intalled on my machin....an which my vmware is intalled on it to run winserver.....i want to add it to my domain wich is the vmware os.....i have tried the one on the link above is complaining about AD DC of my domain can not be contacted ...............

What you are trying to implement is not optimal. The error you are getting is most likely because your workstation's DNS configuration is not pointing to the domain controller/DNS VM server. Even If you configure that, you will be able to join the domain but your problem will always be that your domain has to be up and functional before you can log onto the domain. How are you going to be able to do that when you reboot your host computer? The VM guest will not be running and therefore your domain will be down.

I'd recommend that you set up a second VM guest running Win 7 and join that computer to the domain so you can continue your testing.

hello any body ther

What do you mean... I responded to your last post. In addition, this is not a chat session. While I'm online quite a bit as well as many other members, you may need to be patient to get a response.

If you need an immediate response, I'd recommend you find someone that can set some dedicated time asside to work with you.

sorry i thing i posted that b4 u replied am sorry..................concining ur previous post ...the win7 and the vmware ar up and running .....at the same time .......but joining the computer account to the domain wich is running on vmware isnt successfull rather it throughs and error message that says ( an ACTIVE DIRECTORY DOMAIN CONTROLLER FOR domain (TEAMA.COM) COULD NOT BE CONTACTED)... and what if i start up another vmware and istalled another winserver2008 for the test purpos will it work..bcz i dont hve win7 iso rit nw..... hw to solv this pls need ya help....

You can set up another VM for 2008 server and join it to your domain. There a lot of things you need to do to get this to work. For example, Active Directory is heavily dependent on DNS. You need to make sure you existing AD/DNS server is correctly configued. All clients you intent to integrate into the domain will need to use this server for DNS.

commented: thanks for the reply....but configuring the DNS is it the forward lookup zone and revers lookup zone ur talking about +0

thanks for the reply....but configuring the DNS is it the forward lookup zone and revers lookup zone ur talking about........i stilled tried joining the newly installed winserver2008/vmware it still ddnt work....same error as the previous one.

Your Active Directory domain depends on DNS. If you went through the DCOROMO process you had an option to install DNS services on that OS and allow the process to create the proper zones and records. If you didn't do that, you need to go back and get DNS configured correctly first.

Once that is done, you only have to make sure your clients are configured correctly. There could be dozens of things not set up correctly that are preventing you from joining the domain. It's going to be challenging to help you unless you figure out exactly what the problem is. The generic error you see could be AD, DNS, network related, etc..

you could help by leting me know a step by step way of setting up the client and the server to communicat....and the configurations i will all apreciate thanks.

as for the zones i thinks it wast configured went throuhg the dcpromo process

Providing you with step by step instructions is way beyond the scope of this thread. It is too much detailed information to provide you with. Since you are also doing this with VMs, you also have the networking factor to deal with as well. I have no idea if you have setup your VMs and VM network properly to support this.

From an AD perspective, its pretty easy if you are just setting up a new domain and adding one client as a domain member.

After you setup the OS on the first server, you run DCPROMO, select first domain controller in a new forest, follow the wizard and select options for the auto creation of you DNS zones. From a high level, that's all you need. Restart the server and makes sure that the DNS zones where created and that you can use the AD tools to connect to the domain controller services.

From a client perspective, you need to make sure that you have network connectivity to your server. Can you validate that name resolution is working by pinging the domain name, server name of the domain controller? If that works OK, then you should be able to log in with a local account and use a domain account with the necessary rights and permissions to join it to the domain.

thanks for the reply....i actually demoted the domain .....an tried creating another one from the scrach to see if i could notice any error or somthings i ddnt notice when i runned dcpromo at the first time...but this time i notice a warning box that prompted with this message (a delegation for the DNS server can not be created because the authouritative parent zone cannot be found or it does not run WINDOW DNS SERVER. if ur integrating with and existing DNS infrastructure, you should manually create a delegation to this DNS server in the parent ZONE to ensure reliable name resolution from outside the domain TeamA.com. otherwise, no action is required .) could this be the cause or what those the warning message implies...thanks so much for the reply...

Yes of course this is related. It doesnt sound like you have a DNS infrastructure in place (based on the info so far in this thread). My recommendation is to either set up DNS prior to DCPROMO and create the zones if you have the knowledge, or just let DCPROMO do the work for you. Before you get that warning, you should have the option for DNS checkbox enabled. When you get the warning box, click yes. This should configure DNS and setup the zones for you. If it doesnt, its fine. the zones can always be set up manually if needed.

pic16

dns

this is how my DNS manager looks like....is assumed the zones ar been configured...any clue about this...and about enabling the DNS SEVER ON THE CHECK BOX OF DCPROMO, I DID ENALED IT.....

The zones look ok. You need to make sure you have connectivity between your VMs (use PING to test) and configure the domain members to point to that DNS server. You can use NSLOOKUP to test name resolution from the domain member.

**this is how my ipconfig 4 the server looks like**
Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

** Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : localdomain
   Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/1000 MT Network Connection
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0C-29-5C-4D-6B
   DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
   Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::e4:cd6c:312c:cc81%10(Preferred)
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.211.128(Preferred)
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
   Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, February 28, 2013 4:36:12 AM
   Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, February 28, 2013 5:36:19 AM
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.211.2
   DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.211.254
   DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 251661353
   DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-18-BE-31-8C-00-0C-29-5C-4D-6B

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : ::1

Primary WINS Server . . . . . . . : 192.168.211.2
   NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled**

**this how my client IP CONFIG LOOK LIKE**

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : localdomain
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0C-29-65-23-B7
   DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::697b:c6cb:e34d:988%10(Preferred)
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.211.129(Preferred)
   Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, February 28, 2013 4:33:07 AM
   Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, February 28, 2013 5:48:07 AM
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : fe80::e4:cd6c:312c:cc81%10
   DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.211.254
   DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-18-BF-E7-CB-00-0C-29-65-23-B7

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.211.2
   Primary WINS Server . . . . . . . : 192.168.211.2
   NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

**AND THIS MY PING RESULT WHEN I PING THE DOMAIN USIN THE CLIENT VM**

**C:UsersAdministrator>ping bigbrother.com

Pinging bigbrother.com [176.34.187.78] with 32 bytes of dat
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 176.34.187.78:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),**

AND THIS IS THE NSLOOKUP RESULT FROM THE CLIENT VM
C:UsersAdministrator>nslookup bigbrother.com
Server:  UnKnown
Address:  192.168.211.2

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    bigbrother.com
Address:  176.34.187.78

AND U TALKed ABOUT POINTINg MY CLIENT SERVER TO THE DOMAIN SEREVR....pls throw more light on that if u could explain it and the possibility to doe that so i could understand.....thanks

You will notice that your Clint's DNS settings are not pointing to your server. This is the problem.

Additionally, your server is configured as a DHCP client. You should have received a warning about that during DCPROMO. Normally a server would be assigned a static IP, especially a DC/DNS server. In addition your client is configured as a DHCP client. That's ok except you are pulling the config from a DHCP server probably from VMWare. That's not going to work here. Normally on a network, you configure your own DHCP server and set up the proper scopes.

The easiest way to get this to work just for the domain join test is to configure both VM guests with static IPs . Configure the TCP/IP settings. The DC points to itself for DNS the client points to the DC for DnS.

Ping by IP to validate connectivity. Ping by name to validate name resolution.

As I mentioned before there a numerous things that can cause issues here. You may consider buying some books on AD and others on TCP/IP. It's important for you to get a solid foundation. Otherwise things like this will trip you up.

hello anyone here

this my new server staic ip config

Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . : bigbrother.com
 Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
 IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
 WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
 DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : bigbrother.com

hernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : bigbrother.com
 Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/1000 MT Network Conne
 Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0C-29-5C-4D-6B
 DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
 Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::e4:cd6c:312c:cc81%10(Preferr
 IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.200.1(Preferred)
 Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
 DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-18-BE-31-8C-00-0C-29-5

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : ::1

** this is my new client static ip config**

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : WIN-8
   Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :
   Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
   IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
   WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0C-29-65-23-B7
   DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::697b:c6cb:e34d:988%10(Preferred)
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.200.23(Preferred)
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : fe80::e4:cd6c:312c:cc81%10
   DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-18-BF-E7-CB-00-0C-29-65-23-B

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.200.1

and this is the error it prompt when i try to join the client to the domain from the domain computer

C:\Users\Administrator.WINER.000>netdom join WIN-8 /Domain:bigbrother.com /userd
:bigbrother\team /passwordd:p@ssw0rd /userO:administrator\TEST /passwordO:T3ST@
Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password.

The command failed to complete successfully.

but the password i provided are correct ...cant understand the logon failure

now i noticed that at the password i used Capitl leter T3st@......and i changed it to the original smalle letter t3st@ password and si saying passsword denied ds time around....pl pls need ur help .

C:\Users\Administrator.WINER.000>netdom join WIN-8 /Domain:bigbrother.com /userd
:bigbrother\TEAM /passwordd:p@ssw0rd /userO:test /passwordO:t3st@
Access is denied.

The command failed to complete successfully.
  1. First configure the 2 PCs as below on the VMs

Server PC

Server Name : server
Domain :TeamA.com
User :TeamA\Team

IP : eg :192.168.1.1
Subnet : 255.255.255.0
Gateway and DNS : 192.168.1.1

Client PC ( Windows 7)

Server Name : client

IP : eg :192.168.1.2
Subnet : 255.255.255.0
Gateway and DNS : 192.168.1.1

1. Then try to ping each other to test the connectivity
  2. Right Click on my computer and Properties (Client PC)
  3. Click "Advance system settings"
  4. Click "Computer Name" tab
  5. Click "Change" button
  6. check the "Domain" and Enter the domain name, eg : TeamA.com
  7. Then Click OK
  8. Enter the Administrator password of the server PC, AD Administrator
  9. Click OK
  10. Restart the PC
  11. DONE !
commented: thanks buddy it worked ......it finally worked ,,,,,am like wow.... +0

The fact that you are now getting an access denied error is an indication that you are communicating between client and server. You simply need to validate the username and password. Also make sure that from the client you are specifying the domain correctly.

For example, bigbrother\administrator when prompted for credentials. You can verify the password by simply logging into the server via the login prompt.

commented: thanks it finally worked.......thanks thanks thanks +1

i dnt get the client section of ur thread....the server name for the client is it the name of computer of the client......and the domain:teama.com and the user:TeamA\TEAM HOW AM I TO impliment ds on client side... thanks alote
Client PC ( Windows 7)

Server Name : client

thanks to ya all it finally worked i apreciate........................

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.