When I start Internet Explorer it opens anywhere from 19-25 windows. Also even when Internet Explorer isn't open and I open Task Manager, iexplore.exe is listed multipule times and I fast as I end the Processes it lists more.

Recommended Answers

All 12 Replies

@OP
The first problem is the fact that you are using Internet Explorer, what is this the 90s? I'd suggest updating to something like Firefox, Chrome, or Opera. Then your life should be better.

While I'm not a fan of IE, the suggestion to install another browser doesn't address the actual issue.

What URLs are you being redirected to? just new tabs?

Does this happen to any other local app?

Its possible that you have some malware installed. I'd recommend that you perform some routing scanning/cleaning to ensure that the machine is clean. Try malwareBytes. Make sure your AV engine is updated and you have the latest virus definition file. Also, your OS should be up to date on the service pack and all of the required security hotixes installed (once your machine is cleaned). Since you are mentioning IE, we know this is a Windows system so use WindowsUpdate to scan and update the latest patches.

That is one of the problems. I can't get Windows updated. I can't get Automatic Updates to turn on and when I try to check for updates and click either Express or Custom I get the message "The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you are trying to view. The options provided below might help you solve the problem." It gave the [Error number: 0x80070424]. I ran FixIt and it said it couldn't fix it. I've run Malwarebytes and AdCleaner or something like and it fixed the redirect problem but I need to get Windows updated.

Your computer is undoubtedly infected. Run a full Mbam scan on it and post it's resulting log in this thread as there may be leftover nasties that require other fixes. Mbam can very easily be found with google.

The only sure way to get rid of any infection is to reformat the harddrive and reinstall your desired operating system. If I wasn't so fond of my current windows system, I would revert back to my ArchLinux in a minute. Very small chance of infections and not a resource hog. However; I suggest to OP that you reinstall windows.

The only sure way to get rid of any infection is to reformat the harddrive and reinstall your desired operating system.

not true [it maybe quicker ,if you don't count the time to reinstall all program back on the computer ] ,i have cleaned many computer of nasties over the years without a format and re-load ,will not further ill-affects .

Well said caperjack. I recon I must have cleaned several hundred computers up without a re-install. After all, it's what I do for a living!

Here is the log from Malwarebytes:

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 1.75.0.1300
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: v2013.06.29.04

Windows XP Service Pack 3 x86 NTFS
Internet Explorer 8.0.6001.18702
Crystal :: CRYSTAL-449506D [administrator]

7/4/2013 9:51:46 AM
mbam-log-2013-07-04 (09-51-46).txt

Scan type: Full scan (C:\|D:\|E:\|F:\|G:\|I:\|J:\|)
Scan options enabled: Memory | Startup | Registry | File System | Heuristics/Extra | Heuristics/Shuriken | PUP | PUM
Scan options disabled: P2P
Objects scanned: 313104
Time elapsed: 2 hour(s), 8 minute(s), 35 second(s)

Memory Processes Detected: 0
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Detected: 0

Registry Keys Detected: 0

Registry Values Detected: 0

Registry Data Items Detected: 0

Folders Detected: 0

Files Detected: 2
C:\CCE_Quarantine{14DBBA45-5127-493D-B290-350E79141CAA} (PUP.IBryte) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\CCE_Quarantine{B7116049-35B8-4E8C-947A-22296A745FD8} (PUP.IBryte) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

(end)

Is there any improvement after Mbam?

As for the Windows Update problem, try resetting it with this fixit.

Finally this problem is solved and Windows Update works, the Internet Security virus is gone and Google is back to working correctly. What solved the Update issue was dragging the file into cmd and adding /wuforc. This article http://malwaretips.com/blogs/internet-security-designed-to-protect-removal/ helped solve the virus and Google issue. First, Malwarebytes Chameleon and then Hitman Pro finished off the viruses. Oh yes, and Internet Explorer is not opening windows in the background either!

Thank you all so much for your help! You are the best!

Hey guys... I actually have 2 questions I would like to ask to see if someone can help me out. I still have windows vista, ( I know junk) lol. I want to update to windows 7 or 8. When I upload the software, will I lose all my files and apps I have now on vista? My second one is, I'm using google crome instead of that crappy explorer. When I do any kind of moving my browser from one page to another theres this page that comes up first www.bizcoaching.com and Ive checked every where I know of in internet settings to see if I can find it and cant, so I can delete it. If anyone has any info for me I would appreciate it a lot. Thanks

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.