Hello, is the savior of my work out there?? Problem: How can I transfer data /names from a database works (horizontally) into a spreadsheet (vertically) in order to sort the names A-Z ?? I am a teacher and need to do this very often... but????:rolleyes:
I have ms works 6.0 and as well windows 98 and also windows 2000.
No help in sight from the HELP!! button :-|
Thanks if someone can help me!!
friedolin:lol:

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Hello, is the savior of my work out there?? Problem: How can I transfer data /names from a database works (horizontally) into a spreadsheet (vertically) in order to sort the names A-Z ?? I am a teacher and need to do this very often... but????:rolleyes:
I have ms works 6.0 and as well windows 98 and also windows 2000.
No help in sight from the HELP!! button :-|
Thanks if someone can help me!!
friedolin:lol:

Didn't know MS Works had a database.

If you open your database and click 'file', are there any 'export' options available?

Alternatively, if you click 'file'->'save as' can you select a file format? If you can, try saving it as .xls (or whatever the MS Works Spreadsheet file extension is)

Didn't know MS Works had a database.

If you open your database and click 'file', are there any 'export' options available?

Alternatively, if you click 'file'->'save as' can you select a file format? If you can, try saving it as .xls (or whatever the MS Works Spreadsheet file extension is)

Thanks for the hint, but no export versions and only file as dtbIV and older works formats. The problem is that the database is wonderful to have lists and individual reportsheet side by side, but I'd like to sort them differently und also calculate and WDB is not very versatile.
The general question is :"how do I transport info from horizontal cells into vertical cells,.. thats all! it MUST be possible??
friedolin

Thanks for the hint, but no export versions and only file as dtbIV and older works formats. The problem is that the database is wonderful to have lists and individual reportsheet side by side, but I'd like to sort them differently und also calculate and WDB is not very versatile.
The general question is :"how do I transport info from horizontal cells into vertical cells,.. thats all! it MUST be possible??
friedolin

Heh,heh - I just reloaded MSWorks to see what you were on about -- yep, there are some interesting decisions made on what to let users play with. Let me see if I understand - you have MSWorks and built a database with the names you want to sort as field/column names? and now want them as row names so you can sort them. I have Works v8 and can 'save as' .wsb, .csv, .txt. .dbf. csv and tst files can be imported into excel - if you do not have excel then try installing OpenOffice (http://www.openoffice.org/). As far as I know, this program will import most if not all of the extensions. Once there you can do pivot tables and so on. The open office stuff is open along the lines Linux and other *nix open source programs. It should not be very difficult to pick as it is juat another program like all the others., If you have any more questions, please ask - I could load OpenOffice and fudge around

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.