I recently replaced a HDD with a SSD in a Laptop. Prior to replacing the HDD I did a full backup to an external drive; all was successful. I replaced the HDD with a new SSD. At first I was getting a non-system disk or disk error, and so I did the following command with WinPE.

Diskpart
List disk
Select disk n (where n is the number that was given for your SSD in List disk)
Clean
Create partition primary align=1024
Format fs=ntfs quick
Active (assuming you want to install an OS)
Exit

The results of the above sequence of commands was successful.

The problem; the WinPE I used to do the above commands as well as my Backup Software Recovery Disk created by my Backup Software which is also WinPE; as well as my Windows Recovery Disc all don't work, instead the laptop boots into the following screen and after thrity-seconds the laptop restarts; and that's all it would do for as long as the laptop is powered on, repeat, over and over etc.

Click Here

How do I restore my backup from my External Drive to the SSD if the versions of WinPE on multiple discs won't boot when I set an optical disc as the main boot loader in the BIOS, rather I get a \boot\bcd error ?

The version of Windows I backed up was Windows 7 Home Edition which was on the laptop.

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

Let's hope folk can fix this. I ran into so many issues with MSFT's backup over the years I no longer use that. I use a few other apps and systems now.

1. Apricom USB Adapter and their software.
  2. Clonezilla.
  3. TODO Backup.

I was hoping I wouldn't need a USB Adapter since, I have a complete back up of the old drive which was larger 320 gigs, while the SSD is only 250 (233) gigs and the backup was under 200 gigs.

After some research, if the parition on the 320 is larger it doesn't matter the backup would fit into the 250 gigs, it's the parition that would cause the problem and there doesn't appear to be a way to solve this ?

I've used Clonezilla to backup a complete HDD to a folder on the other drive. USB not required.
TODO Backup has it's own system so I defer to them.

My solution was to ignore MSFT's backup system. It failed for so many, and with nice alternatives I never looked back.

I used Macrium Back up. The WinPE I have that was created in Macrium isn't loading; therefore I can't restore a backup on an external drive as mentioned.

Siberian,

I didn't tell all. I had to hit the BIOS and turn off Secure Boot as enable CSM to do the clone job. Then to boot Windows 10 I had to turn on Secure Boot and disable CSM.

This varies with each PC so tailor this to your PC and software choices.

Clonezilla will not restore a 320 GB partition to a smaller, 250GB partition... even if the actual data is <200GB.

Acronis Home has a free trial for 30 days I think. You can backup and restore using this... I've used it both in the OS and from a boot CD to grab complete sysprep images of hard drives and to backup my own machines in the OS at times. It will work from larger to smaller drives.

Macrium is suppose to be able to do the same thing as Acronis.

The Backup & Restore disc created by Macrium to which is used to recover a back up doesn't boot. I was able to get my Windows Recovery disc to work, but it doesn't help since it needs to detect a Windows on the drive and the drive is empty.

I do have a WinPE disc which boots, only to a command prompt, and I did all that I know what needs to be done using diskpart, including aligning the SSD and formatting.

The goal is to get my backup restored, arghhh this is frustrating not a smooth as I would have hoped.

@S

Woah, what is this about diskpart and ouch ouch ouch, that's going to leave a mark.

What I mean is that I see folk go down that road and they restored a partition and never restored the boot areas. The backups I made with the titles I noted restore the whole shebang. If I restore a partition, I only get that. Most folk want to restore the boot area, the OS and everything. So what a mess.

-> Let me take a swipe at the Windows Recovery issue. Just last month I had one like that. Here's my quick rundown.
1. Set the bios to allow CD boot of GPARTED (no secure boot, CSM, etc.)
2. remove all partitions.
3. Set the bios back to secure boot, CSM off and the ODD as the first boot item (or use the machine's boot selection.)
4. Now the machine's maker's factory recovery discs work. (Not to be confused with those Windows Recovery Discs.)

The laptop BIOS doesn't have any option, only strictly selecting between booting from a HDD, Optical Disc or USB drive. Any other suggestions ? :)

The Apricom kit with boot CD and USB cable for laptop drive cloning has saved me so much time that I rarely have to try the old ways (Clonezilla, Gparted, etc.)

The deal is you must find your own way if you must set out on paths less traveled or new.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.