My laptop drive has WIN 10 installed. I am try to use the same drive as an external drive. So basically I take the drive out from the laptop and put it in USB enclosure and the put some folder with files on the drive. Then I put the drive back on my laptop and start the laptop. Everything looks good and I navigate to the directory where I put the folder.

When I click on the file to open it I get the message below and the folder disappears

"Location is not available is unavailable. If the location is on this PC, make sure the device or drive is connected or the disc is inserted, and then try again. If the location is on a network, make sure you're connected to the network or internet, and then try again. If the location still can't be found, it might have been moved or deleted. - OK

Is there some setting that I am overlooking or is it just the behavior??

Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Tell more. There is some issue if you put folders in Windows or such. So next time drop it in a new user's folder and then don't use File Exporer. Use the command line (DIR /A).

did you mean Windows folder?
There are no issues when using the drive as USB : able to move folder/files ..behave exactly like external hard drive should.

Its just that when I put the drive back on my laptop and start the laptop the "added" files are not being recognized and i get that error.

I'm not sure wheter during boot up there is some integrity check that figures out that some foreign files are present ?

Or it's ownership, permission, location issue. When you place a NTFS drive on another PC, when it goes back you might have to use an elevated command prompt to DIR /A to see the files then use TAKEOWN or other tools to take ownership of the folder and files.

However I had hoped you would have revealed detail. That is, some poor soul was trying to replace files in the Windows folder and getting upset about Windows File Protection or WFP.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.