:eek: I had been cloning my C Dr to an identical internal backup drive using Norton Ghost's Clone routine. When the C Dr failed, I wasn't sure of the cause and was afraid virus infection(s) might have been cloned to the backup. Therefore, I replaced the C Dr with a new hard drive and installed a new, full version of Win XP Pro and then my other programs. In order to recover the data, I placed the backup drive into a USB mobile storage box (because I didn't want to have to deal with jumpers, etc.). When I opened the drive from My Computer, I found that all the files on the old C Dr were present except the "My Documents" folder. Naturally, this is where 80% of my files are stored. Could a cloning routine not get everything on the old C Dr.? More importantly, how do I find the My Documents folder on the dackup drive? Symantec no longer supports Ghost 2003 and says there is no help available. I was unable to find an explanation in their Knowledge Base. I'm hoping that only my status as a "not so great" tech/research person is the root of my problem, but you can probably imagine my feeling of desperation. Please help.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

First of all...
I never use Ghost for windows... I always use the dos version 8.
It supports FAT32 and NTFS.
Right after you do a fresh install is when to make a backup.

As for "My Docs" folder... Its C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR_USERNAME\My Documents

-Right, agreed with PCtech.

Also, make sure you're inside the correct user.

Finally, ya might want to try adding your hard drive as a slave partition on another computer.

commented: Hope i returned rep to the correct person ;) +3

Your Remote Technical Support Assistant

My Documents is actually in your C drive.

Look in:

C:\Documents and Settings\*****\My Documents

Where ***** is your logon name for the computer.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.