I recently reinstalled Windows 10 on my laptop, since then it has been randomy not sleeping properly. After I had shut the lid of the laptop, I'd come back and find the laptop was 'on', as in the fan was running very quietly, the power lights and hard drive lights were on, but the screen appeared to be off. Pressing buttons or touching the screen did nothing, I had to turn it off by pressing the power. At first I didn't pay much attention to when this was happening, and I assumed some software setting was waking up my computer, so I changed the lid close setting from 'sleep' to hibernate, so it would require a physical button press to wake up. It continued to happen, and I've since realised that it is not waking up, but rather not sleeping or hibernating properly. Occisaonly when I close it, the computer dosen't power off like it should, and opening the lid back up shows the computer still on but unresponsive, with a black screen, having seemingly not entered hibernation.

Does anyone know what could be causing this?

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

The usual story is that the owner installed Windows but omitted the usual updates from the laptop or machine maker for BIOS, drivers and apps. I've run into cases where the BIOS had to be updated, always had to get drivers from the maker (not Microsoft since their PCs seem to be automatically supported) and then for some machines Apps that control things like sleep.

Your OS install may be finished but what about the post OS work?

You might want to have a look at the powercfg command line utility that comes with Windows. It might be that one or more of your devices are set to wake the computer from a sleep state. To see if any are "armed" you can type:

powercfg -devicequery wake_armed

To see if a device woke up the system type:

powercfg -lastwake

Surely it is a windows problem. Just reboot your device with the latest windows 10 again.

commented: Late. Be more timely. +0
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.