I'm asking this question in the context of a satellite internet service with expensive download limits...

If you just accept all the recommended updates for Windows 10 (creator's update, security etc) for a single Home Edition machine how many Gigabytes will that represent in a typical 12 month period? Eg: I'm thinking maybe 5 gig for one major update plus maybe an average of 500 meg/month other stuff?

This was kicked around a bit but your numbers are in the ballpark.

I had to download the Fall Creator's Update (which I call FU) about 8 times. I think it was about 4 gig a pop. Fortunately, at home, I have a 160 gig cap. I have to disable all updates at the cottage. It is difficult to do this and not 100% effective, especially since every app seems to want to auto-update.

So 4 gig for that one and I believe there was a similar one the previous spring. I'm thinking about 10-15 gig a year?

You can check all the updates and sizes here. Type "fall creator's update" into the search box.

For Windows 10 April 2018 Update
RAM 1GB for 32 bit 2GB for 64 bit.
Hard disk space 16 GB for 32 bit 20 GB for 64 bit.
CPU: 1GHz or faster.
Screen resolution: 800 x 600.
Graphics: Microsoft DirectX 9 or later with WDDM 1.0 driver.
Internet access.

Hi Darius
Those are the minimum machine specs. I was looking for the actual download size, which is something completely different!

BTW, Windows Defender updates alone are around 240 meg.

Windows 10 update takes too long time. Yesterday I updated Windows new patch and it takes around 3 hour and restarted computer. While installing updates I can't use the system. According to me, Windows XP is better than Windows 10. Windows 10 takes too much space in system.

@Claire. How about some source for your claims? I'll share my example for W10 size. I took an old 2006 Dell Inspiron E1505 with dual core 32 bit Intel cpu with 1GB RAM and 120GB SSD. After a clean install there was 100GB free. And that was a stock, didn't change a thing install.

Why would I need a smaller install size? Also, the machine would boot and pull up a web page in 35 seconds from a cold start. Why go back to XP?

More to the point why go back to an unsupported and insecure (certainly a lot less secure anyway) version of the OS? There always seems to be a lot of knock the latest version of WIndows attitude, and a lot of OS nostalgia.

commented: A stock XP install can't get on the Web today. Missing HTTPS support in the stock browser. +15

The latest windows 10 Updates are like 1-2 GB big...