I'm asking this question in the context of a satellite internet service with expensive download limits...

If you just accept all the recommended updates for Windows 10 (creator's update, security etc) for a single Home Edition machine how many Gigabytes will that represent in a typical 12 month period? Eg: I'm thinking maybe 5 gig for one major update plus maybe an average of 500 meg/month other stuff?

Recommended Answers

All 22 Replies

This was kicked around a bit but your numbers are in the ballpark.

I had to download the Fall Creator's Update (which I call FU) about 8 times. I think it was about 4 gig a pop. Fortunately, at home, I have a 160 gig cap. I have to disable all updates at the cottage. It is difficult to do this and not 100% effective, especially since every app seems to want to auto-update.

So 4 gig for that one and I believe there was a similar one the previous spring. I'm thinking about 10-15 gig a year?

You can check all the updates and sizes here. Type "fall creator's update" into the search box.

For Windows 10 April 2018 Update
RAM 1GB for 32 bit 2GB for 64 bit.
Hard disk space 16 GB for 32 bit 20 GB for 64 bit.
CPU: 1GHz or faster.
Screen resolution: 800 x 600.
Graphics: Microsoft DirectX 9 or later with WDDM 1.0 driver.
Internet access.

Hi Darius
Those are the minimum machine specs. I was looking for the actual download size, which is something completely different!

BTW, Windows Defender updates alone are around 240 meg.

Windows 10 update takes too long time. Yesterday I updated Windows new patch and it takes around 3 hour and restarted computer. While installing updates I can't use the system. According to me, Windows XP is better than Windows 10. Windows 10 takes too much space in system.

@Claire. How about some source for your claims? I'll share my example for W10 size. I took an old 2006 Dell Inspiron E1505 with dual core 32 bit Intel cpu with 1GB RAM and 120GB SSD. After a clean install there was 100GB free. And that was a stock, didn't change a thing install.

Why would I need a smaller install size? Also, the machine would boot and pull up a web page in 35 seconds from a cold start. Why go back to XP?

More to the point why go back to an unsupported and insecure (certainly a lot less secure anyway) version of the OS? There always seems to be a lot of knock the latest version of WIndows attitude, and a lot of OS nostalgia.

commented: A stock XP install can't get on the Web today. Missing HTTPS support in the stock browser. +15

The latest windows 10 Updates are like 1-2 GB big...

1,5 GB the last

And, unfortunately, I have to download it three times to update three machines. I can't just get it once then update from a local copy.

@Reverend Jim,

Windows 10 deliverery optimization has changed again. May want to check it out. Here's the screen where it shares among the local area network PCs.
devop.PNG
Not that I am saying it works, but they did change it again.

I can give that a try, but, being a Microsoft offering, I suspect that I'd still have to download the update 4-5 times before I figured out how to set up as they suggest. Also, I already have trouble moving files from machine to machine because of access rights. When I was in IT i was a domain admin so access was never a problem. Now I'm just "dad" with no inherent rights.

A web association is required to play out the update. Windows 10 is a huge record - around 3 GB - and Internet get to (ISP) expenses may apply. It relies upon your framework. In case you're running the most recent form, it ought to be anyplace between 1.8-2.5GB not more than that.

These files are automatically deleted 10 days after you upgrade. You can delete them now to free up space. An internet connection is required to perform the upgrade. Windows 10 is a large file -- about 3 GB -- and Internet access (ISP) fees might apply.

The size depends on a certain update, but seems like major updates each time appear bigger and bigger, you can't be sure, how big the will be in a year.

That's good news, Abby I hope you are right.

I use a Dell Latitude E5400 laptop. It dates to about year 2000, has Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0 GHz CPUs, 3 GB RAM, and a 160 GB hard drive about half used.
I installed Windows 10 about a year ago because a financial ap that I depend on stopped working correctly. When I ordered Win 10 from MS, the phone rep (MS Employee) said Windows 10 would probably not work on this computer, and tried unsuccessfully to get me to buy a new computer. It works fine now for everything I need. I don't use it for games. I'm not a fan of Windows 10 and I hate the current version of Excel, but guess we have to change with the times.

I am also waiting this update.

Hi there. Is it going to be soon? I am also looking forward to updating it. Where can we see what will be new in this update?

It's been out for several weeks. If you want to know what is new then google "what's new in windows 10 2019 update". Aside from a minor VPN problem there is nothing that should stop you from updating.

Hi Friends
With the May 2019 update, Microsoft is enabling all Windows 10 users to pause updates for up 35 days. This option was only previously for Windows 10 Enterprise and Professional users.

Windows keeps rolling out new updates and patches almost every month. You can disable the auto update feature if you do not waste your internet data.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.