ok here is the problem i recently installed windows xp on a new pc, it is running almost perfectly one problem, sometimes when you click on the start menu it restarts with out warning (the menu doesn't open, it just restarts. and it isn't the polite "windows is now shutting down" and then restart, it is as if i hit the restart button on my pc). if anyone has heard of this problem and knows a solution, it would be greatly appreciated.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

It usually means you've a problem with the PSU or that your system is getting too hot (check the temperature of your system). Are you able to test with another PSU?

Edit: Does it only happen when you click the start menu or does it occur randomly?

Edit: Does it only happen when you click the start menu or does it occur randomly?

only when i click the start menu (try to open the start menu i should say, cus the keyboard key to open the start menu does it too) but not everytime, just sometimes.

ok, it did seem like overheating at first, i tried ctrl+alt+del and did new tasks to test if it was new processes or just the start menu, and it did the same thing so i had to agree with you, but i decided to try and load it up into safe mode and when i did it worked perfectly, no matter what i did it wouldn't act up. so i think it may be a driver conflict. what do u think.

That's indeed interesting. You could try to update your Graphics driver and DirectX. You could also compare the drivers you've loaded during normal and safe mode (I usually use DriverView for this) and check the difference if this doesn't work.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.