Got a new PC. Strangely, when I log on to certain sites, the IE just closes down (all windows close down). Initially i thought it was some security thing cos the first few times I encountered this, it was when i tried to to do internet banking. The moment I submitted my user ID, the windows close. Then i realised it was not limited to the sites of the banks.

Anyone can help me on this. Appreciate any guidance.

My system - Windows XP/ Home Edition/ Version 2002/ Service Pack 1
IE - 6.0.2800.1106.xpsp2.030422-1633

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

Do you get any error messages when this happens? It could very well be spyware if you do not have error messages so try running the following programs after updating them.

Download & instal Adaware from http://majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=506
& update it B4 scanning.
In settings under 'scanning,' have it set to
'scan within archives,'
'scan active processes,'
'scan registry,'
'deepscan registry'
'scan my IE Favourites for banned URL's,'
'scan my host's file.'
Also in tweaks under 'cleaning engine' set it to 'Automatically try to unregister objects prior to deletion.'
Remove what it finds by placing a check in the box to the left of the object.
Download & instal Spybot S&D from http://www.safer-networking.org/index.php?page=download Update it B4 scanning.
After the scan is complete, have spybot fix everything marked RED.
On the page that first opens when you start Spybot there is an option to immunise, you should do this. In the immunise section there is also a link to download Spywareblaster. Download that & you can keep it updated by selecting the same link that you use to download it.

thanks crunchie. tried what you recommended, but problem still persists. what else could it be?

If this one does not work, I would think that it is not spyware related.
Download CWShredder from http://209.133.47.200/~merijn/files/CWShredder.exe & run it. Select the fix button & it will get rid of everything related to CoolWebSearch. Close ALL other programs including IE before running CWShredder. Does IE6 have SP1 installed? Does it only happen on certain sites? Try getting all your critical updates from M$. You may also need to do a repair to IE B4 going to M$.

Tried. Still doesn't work. If it is not spyware related, what could it be? Thanks for the efforts ...

Have you tried using another browser? MYIE2 uses internet explorers engine to get around & has far better security measures. So basically, you are still using IE with a different look & more features. I do not know though whether this will correct the problem. You will not lose any favourites, bookmarks etc.

Hmmm, a little lost on why he would be directed to DL SWShredder if unsure whether he has that issue first but at least that is ruled out thusfar ;)

excalibur08, please go here and download Hijack This. Save it to a folder in your MY DOCUMENTS (create a new one called SPY-FIX). Then run the program and post your log here.

From there I can help you figure out whether it is spyware related or not. If it is not, then we can check into some security settings.

Also is this a brand spanking new system, or one that was previously owned?

Brand new ... altho assembled by DIY shop.

Ok, here it is:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.97.7
Scan saved at 11:51:43 PM, on 4/18/2004
Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)
Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7DEBUG\MDM.EXE
C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\AdvTools\NPROTECT.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\System32\RunDll32.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\Program Files\Alcatel\SpeedTouch USB\Dragdiag.exe
D:\CheckPoint\SecuRemote\bin\fwenc.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_03\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\ICQLite\ICQLite.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\ctfmon.exe
D:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Distillr\acrotray.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE
C:\Documents and Settings\user\My Documents\SPY-FIX\HijackThis.exe
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.yahoo.com.sg/
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - D:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {AE7CD045-E861-484f-8273-0445EE161910} - D:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll
O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Adobe PDF - {47833539-D0C5-4125-9FA8-0819E2EAAC93} - D:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Cmaudio] RunDll32 cmicnfg.cpl,CMICtrlWnd
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccRegVfy] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccRegVfy.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Advanced Tools Check] C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\AdvTools\ADVCHK.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SpeedTouch USB Diagnostics] "C:\Program Files\Alcatel\SpeedTouch USB\Dragdiag.exe" /icon
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroFilterCheck] C:\WINDOWS\system32\NeroCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [fwenc.exe] d:\CheckPoint\SecuRemote\bin\fwenc.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_03\bin\jusched.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ICQ Lite] C:\Program Files\ICQLite\ICQLite.exe -minimize
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\System32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\RunOnce: [ICQ Lite] C:\Program Files\ICQLite\ICQLite.exe -trayboot
O4 - Global Startup: Acrobat Assistant.lnk = D:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Distillr\acrotray.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console (HKLM)
O9 - Extra button: Research (HKLM)
O9 - Extra button: ICQ Lite (HKLM)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: ICQ Lite (HKLM)
O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{EDF66F8E-DD49-40FF-A5AC-7DDF4FA550E3}: NameServer = 165.21.83.88 165.21.100.88

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.