What is file shredder and does Windows 10 have a file shredder or we need to download some third party software?

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

In a way Windows 10 does have such, if you wait long enough. The deleted file space is eventually overwritten so over time the file you deleted is shredded.

PS. I didn't answer what is a file shredder.
I feel that from your words you know what it is and we can google more. But in short it's a way to overwrite a file so that recovery is nearly impossible. In my opinion this is rarely called for since a deletion and time will do the same work. As to why you would need this, you should tell us why. Here I've presented why it's not needed.

A file shredder is software that allows users to permanently delete files when no longer needed. This process is also known as wiping and consists in overwriting the space once occupied by the deleted file (or the file we aim to erase forever) by using zeros and ones.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.