Hello all...
I just reformatted my hard drive, and I am trying to install windows 98 back on it. I can not find my authenticity code. Is there any way to get a new one or find out the code for it from the cd. computer rookie!:-|

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

If I'm right it just should be there on the back of the CD-box or wherever the CD has been in.

Hello all...
I just reformatted my hard drive, and I am trying to install windows 98 back on it. I can not find my authenticity code. Is there any way to get a new one or find out the code for it from the cd. computer rookie!:-|

It should be written right in front of the manual that came with your Windows 98 CD.

If you are still having no success and the pc is not just a clone, you can usually call the manufacturer of the pc and state your case with the serial number. The licenses are often corporate key types and they will give it to you if the pc is in the database. The license is not specific to the user, but the pc. Especially since win98 did not use hardware hooks (like XP) it can often times be the same number. I had 2 finds that bought Gateway computers within months of each other and the license was the same!

Thanks, Yes it is not a clone. This computer was my parents and they did not know to save the winodws 98 book that has the code on it. I have contacted gateway and I am waiting for a response from them.

If there are any other solutions out there I would appreciate them, Thanks

No (legal) solutions that I can think of, so no one get any ideas! Although My first computer that had Windows 98 on it was an eMachines (I know what you are all thinking), and if I remember correctly, the code was stored on the cdrom somewhere. The code wasn't very easy to find though. :-/ If you have contacted Gateway, just sit tight for now.

Thanks for all your help Gateway has come through.

did u get it then??

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.