So I have a PC running windows 2000 that I need to take pictures off of, but the keyboard and mouse won’t work pass the bios. I’m pretty sure it wants me to install the drivers for them but I can’t exactly do that without a keyboard and mouse. Can anyone help me here? They both work perfectly fine in the bios menu.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

I ran W2000 SP4 for close to a decade so I'll share that as new hardware came out with USB keyboards I had to test it with USB Keyboard Legacy (can be any name like that) on and off.

-> Your PC details are nil so I can't guess if it worked before or you are trying to run W2000 on modern hardware.

The PC is a Dell Dimension XPS R400 with a Pentium 2 processor and 96mb of ram. It’s got a 20gb HDD.

Small world. My last W2000 SP4 (I mention SP4 because it matters when we run this old OS) was a:

Self made PC with (two!) Pentium Pro II Overdrive CPUs. See http://www.os2museum.com/wp/intel-overdrive-part-iii-pentium-ii-overdrive/ for an idea of the power of the dark side back then. (We have cookies.) I had maxed out the RAM on the machine at 64MB (expensive back then) and for the HDDs it was some SCSI RAID 0. The graphics card was some early Nvidia or 3DFX. When it came time to move on I changed out the HDD array to a simpler single IDE drive which was the style at the time. Nod to the PS below! Otherwise the new owner would not be able to deal with SCSI rules.

All that aside, I can't tell if your setup ever worked yet but you do want to try the USB LEGACY settings in the BIOS and use PS/2 connected mouse and keyboard.

-> Thanks for the memories!

PS: "We can't bust heads like we used to. But we have our ways. One trick is to tell stories that don't go anywhere. Like the time I caught the ferry to Shelbyville. I needed a new heel for my shoe. So I decided to go to Morganville, which is what they called Shelbyville in those days. So I tied an onion to my belt, which was the style at the time. Now, to take the ferry cost a nickel, and in those days, nickels had pictures of bumblebees on 'em. "Gimme five bees for a quarter," you'd say. Now where were we... oh yeah. The important thing was that I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn't have any white onions, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones..."

If setting Legacy USB in the BIOS didn't solve the problem, try using a DELL keyboard.
Some older proprietary systems want hardware that they know about.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.