okparrothead 1 Light Poster

Hello Friends,

I came to DaniWeb for solutions to problems I was having with Windows Media Player. By trying things I read here, I found these solutions so I thought I'd share them with you all.

First, my rig:

VIA KT4V Motherboard with onboard video and audio
AMD Athlon 2400+
S3 Virge display adapter
Realtek AC'97 Audio controller
Windows XP Pro SP2
Windows Media Player 10

I installed WMP 10 to fix my primary problem, but it didn't work so I suspect these options got misconfigured under WMP9.

Problems:

My primary problem was that a .wmf video clip wouldn't show in WMP. I could hear the audio, but only got a dark green screen for the video. If I opened it to full screen mode (terrible resolution), it would show. But then, when I reduced the size of the view, I only got the top left corner of the video -- at the full screen video resolution!

I uninstalled/reinstalled WMP and lost the audio as well, so when I ran WMP I could open to full screen and see the video, then resize and see the top corner, but now it didn't play the sound.

Video Solutions:
In WMP, go to Tools>Options>Performance>Advanced

Digital Video set at Large

Under "Video Acceleration" uncheck "Use video mixing renderer" leaving all other selections checked.

I don't use DVD's, but I suspect the same for "DVD Video"

Apply the changes.

Audio Solutions:
In WMP, go to Tools>Options>Devices

Select Speakers then Properties

Make sure you have Your audio device selected. In my case, the Realtek AC'97. The "Default DirectSound Device" was selected and didn't work. Under Advanced, select the appropriate speaker type e.g. Stereo Speakers, Mono Speaker, Headphones, etc. Full acceleration.

Apply the changes.

I suspect my audio/video hardware is considered legacy by Windows XP and I suppose there will be a lot of that going around for folks that are upgrading from Windows 2000.

I also suspect these or similar fixes will apply to WMP 11.

Thanks for all your help. I hope these fixes will work for you.

Peace!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.