My computer is giving me the blue sreen of death. Stop error 0x00000024 - advising me to run CHKDSKb but I cant boot windows up. Tried all ways - safe mode, roll back to last working configuration etc. Diagnostics show that the hard drive is ok.

Tried to boot from CD, but when I get to to the screen:

Windows XP to run on your computer and press enter nothing happens - On the bottom of the screen the following appears:

Examining 76294 mb disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on atapi....

Any advice.

Contributors
Replies
Views
11 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by KW0510

Windows XP to run on your computer and press enter nothing happens - On the bottom of the screen the following appears:

Examining 76294 mb disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on atapi....

So something is happening, it is checking your disc. Do you let it finish, or reboot then and there?

So something is happening, it is checking your disc. Do you let it finish, or reboot then and there?

I have even left it overnght with the message but it does not advance any further.

How many RAM do u have? If you are using two 256 MB DDR you can try to remove one and boot using a lone 256 MB memory. If it doesn't work out use the other memory. I had the same problem once with my PC i just replaced the memory and it loaded windows....

So what happened when u ran chkdsk on ur computer? Run it from the recovery console using the DOS-like command. [Place the XP install disc in the drive and restart. From startup, boot from ur XP install disc and press r to repair [enter recovery console]. You will get a DOS-like screen which will ask for any administrator password [if none press enter]; past that a DOS-like prompt. Type chkdsk /? if you need help with chkdsk, otherwise just type chkdsk and enter.]

So what happened when u ran chkdsk on ur computer? Run it from the recovery console using the DOS-like command. [Place the XP install disc in the drive and restart. From startup, boot from ur XP install disc and press r to repair [enter recovery console]. You will get a DOS-like screen which will ask for any administrator password [if none press enter]; past that a DOS-like prompt. Type chkdsk /? if you need help with chkdsk, otherwise just type chkdsk and enter.]

When I boot from CD I get as far as tne windows set up window, press r , but it does not proceed any further. At the bottom of the screen I get the message checking 76gb hard drive at 0 ide ....
But nothing happens, even left it overnight.
Hard disk has been been tested and is ok though.

I think the only solution is to format the c drive and start again.
Any data files which I should have backed up will go, but at least I should be able to use the PC again.

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.