I have a reoccuring annoying pop up which is located next to the clock. When it pops up it has an envelope similar to what you would see holding the dialogue in the Sunday funnies, and it reads: Local Area Connection
Network Cable Unpluged
When this occurs a small televison icon with a red X in the screen appears just to the left of the clock. This has been happening whether I've been on line or not. I can't find where it has caused any real problems, it's just annoying as listening to Martha Stewart describe the pastel colors of her previous gated community. I recently went to Firefox as my browser, and thoght that had taken care of the problem...nah, it's just being crafty! Short of an exocisim, does anyone have a suggestion that're printable?

Recommended Answers

All 19 Replies

I have a reoccuring annoying pop up which is located next to the clock. When it pops up it has an envelope similar to what you would see holding the dialogue in the Sunday funnies, and it reads: Local Area Connection
Network Cable Unpluged
When this occurs a small televison icon with a red X in the screen appears just to the left of the clock. This has been happening whether I've been on line or not. I can't find where it has caused any real problems, it's just annoying as listening to Martha Stewart describe the pastel colors of her previous gated community. I recently went to Firefox as my browser, and thoght that had taken care of the problem...nah, it's just being crafty! Short of an exocisim, does anyone have a suggestion that're printable?

its nothing to worry about unless you are rigged up to a small home or office network. its just letting you know that a cable going to a Local Area Network LAN is unplugged. just pretend you havent noticed it. if it helps i have the same icon in my task bar and virtually the same thing happens to me.:)

Hi Janine... as much as misery enjoys company, I appreciate the thought, but I really would like to know what the root of this problem is. I'm not networking, so that's not an issue. Catweazle had tried to help in another thread believing that some aspect of my software was addressing a network connection failure, I thought that we had taken care of it, but the deletion that took care of it wouldn't remain deleted. I had indicated that it had been a fix for the moment, but I would wait and see, and I have to assume the he took this as the end of the problem as he didn't respond to the last reply in that thread. Being an electrican who works with programable logic control sytems, I know that a small glitch can eventually become a large problem, so I'm always motivated to find the cause, whether it's benign or not. Having said this, yeah... it's nice to know that someone else has the same problem.

Hi Janine... as much as misery enjoys company, I appreciate the thought, but I really would like to know what the root of this problem is. I'm not networking, so that's not an issue. Catweazle had tried to help in another thread believing that some aspect of my software was addressing a network connection failure, I thought that we had taken care of it, but the deletion that took care of it wouldn't remain deleted. I had indicated that it had been a fix for the moment, but I would wait and see, and I have to assume the he took this as the end of the problem as he didn't respond to the last reply in that thread. Being an electrican who works with programable logic control sytems, I know that a small glitch can eventually become a large problem, so I'm always motivated to find the cause, whether it's benign or not. Having said this, yeah... it's nice to know that someone else has the same problem.

Hi,i don't see it as a problem!an annoiance maybe , but if you are in dialup for you internet connection and have no network set up on you computer try going into control panel open network connections ,right click on the icon inside and go to properties and uncheck show icon in notification area when connected .this will get rid of the icon by the clock

Hi dcc,

I must have missed the last comment in your earlier comment here:
http://www.daniweb.com/techtalkforums/thread23382.html

If you do not use the LAN port in your PC then disable it. You've tried doing so in Windows and it hasn't resolved the matter so it's time to go a bit deeper. Check to see if the LAN port on your PC is an onboard one (socket near the main connectors for mouse, keyboard etc) or if it is on an add-in card (socket in one of the card slots at rear of PC)

If it's an add-in card remove the card from your PC. If it's onboard LAN then disable it in BIOS setup.

You won't get Network cable unplugged popups if there's no network card or onboard networking present :)

By the way, those messages do no harm and will not lead to further problems.

Hey caperjack...went there, did that, and it was already unchecked. Now this begins to get interesting, I clicked the box to enable it, and now there are two icons , if I uncheck the box it goes back to the single icon. By te way, there are two different icons, the normal one that I just duplicated is of two superimposed TVs, the one in the pop up is of a TV with a red X in the screen.

The two 'superimposed TVs' will be your internet connection, the other will be a network connection that is not connected to anything.

Even your dial-up internet uses Windows' networking technology.

Hey Catweazle...I just experienced one way to miss an enty myself, when I checked my email I clicked onto the link for caperjacks response, this took me to the thread, but bypassed your response. I just happened to scroll up to check a statement, otherwise I would have missed your entry. I'll check out your suggestion now, and get back to you shortly.

Always scroll back when you check additions to a thread, because the email link goes straight to the last post made in the thread, not to earlier ones you haven't yet read

Ok Catweazle...It looks like it has to be a onboard connection, can I disable this by going to LAN settings in the properties of IE? If not, I'm going to need a little help with manuvering through the BIOS, new frontiers for me, but I have to learn about that sometime, so I'm game, but only if you have the time.

Go into BIOS Setup, check any section for 'Integrated peripherals or simesuch, and disable the LAN or Ethernet or whatever it's called there.

How do I get to BIOS setup?

Hey Catweazle...That was exciting, after using the link you provided I tried to access the BIOS using the <delete> key during startup. I got to a menu with COSMOS at the top and couldn't do any thing but navigate up or down, I pressed Esc with no luck, I eventually tried to reboot resulting in a blankscreen on the monitor and was not able to start up.
I tried turning off the power for ten minutes, and thank god it started. In the words of Tennessee William, "screw it", I'll live with it. Just for kicks and grins, what should I have done to escape, and why didn't the Esc key work?

Difficult to say without you giving me identification details for your system (if a name brand PC) or your motherboard (if not) . I'd need to read the motherboard manual for your PC to give specific information, because BIOS setup routines differ from system to system.

It's keyboard command, using arrow keys, enter, Page Up/Page down etc etc, and if the key presses were not working I'd have to suspect a faulty keyboard is the reason.

Lots of people use USB keyboards nowadays (which I personally hate) and I think the best way to access stuff at a system level is to use a cheap, standard plug-in keyboard.

A friend built this computer about six years ago, the motherboard is a Microstar K7-Pro (MS6195 ATX IR3), and I do have the manual. I found the chapter on th BIOS setup, and it looks like I did get to the BIOS setup location, there is a copy of the same menu.
It has the following options:
Standard CMOS Setup
Advanced CMOS Setup
Advanced Chipset Setup
Power Management Setup
PCI/Plug and Play Setup
Load Fail Safe Settings
Load Optimal Settings
Peripheral Setup
Hardware Monitor Setup
Change Supervisor Password
Change User Password
Auto-Detect Hard Disks
Save Settings and Exit
Exit Without Saving

Which one should I choose to get to the LAN or what ever settings? By the way, my keyboard is a cheap plug in.

I'll download and read your motherboard manual later on when I have time available (if Microstar still make it available of course). I'll post more detailed comments then :D

Catweazle...I solved the problem.

Control Panel
Network and Dial-up connection
Disabled Local Area Connection

No more popup, and no complications!

Oh my! Sorry, but I must have forgoten to get back to your problem as I promised. Glad to hear you've got it sorted out now :)

But I'm finding it kinda weird. I just checked the motherboard manual for your motherboard, and it seems that the board doesn't actually have onboard LAN, according to the MSI website.

No problem...actually, I sent you a pm stating that if it wasn't harmful that I could live with it, and that it wasn't worth spending your time on it.
As far as the LAN connection on the motherboard, I'm not following your inference, but being a novice when it comes to computers, it doesn't take much to leave me in dust.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.