I just got a new Toshiba laptop for Christmas, and it came with a FREE upgrade to Windows Vista Home Premium (yay). Is Vista good enough to write over my Media Center (XP) install permanently? Or should I keep the XP Windows files? Is it possible to 100% get rid of Vista if I don't like it?

How is Vista for those of your who use it?

Recommended Answers

All 14 Replies

good but dont switch to it until you have to

you most likely wont get aero on your laptop and vista will be slow (general rule is 1gb of ram in vista runs the same as 256 does in XP)

Acutally, if it says free upgrade to vista premuim, you'll most likely get aero. I agree with jbennet. Don't upgrade for a few months, and before you should upgrade to 2G of RAM. Just wait for them to get the biggest bugs fixed, then upgrade.

what i meant was not that aero wasnt included, but that the laptops built in video card is probably not good enough to run it.

Yeah and I agree, wait for SP1 to come out

what i meant was not that aero wasnt included, but that the laptops built in video card is probably not good enough to run it.

Yeah and I agree, wait for SP1 to come out

I think he means that it is included but you won't be able to use it because it will be too slow.

I think you should probably try it if and only if you can get back to XP.

Check the small print in case theres a thing where e.g vista is a one way trip or you have to upgrade before a set date

I just got a new Toshiba laptop for Christmas, and it came with a FREE upgrade to Windows Vista Home Premium (yay). Is Vista good enough to write over my Media Center (XP) install permanently? Or should I keep the XP Windows files? Is it possible to 100% get rid of Vista if I don't like it?

How is Vista for those of your who use it?

Don't do this, not because of RAM Memory.
I used Vista a week & it have many probelms. Now I re-install XP & wait for the upgrade service pack.

As for the upgrade question, it IS a one way trip. Once you upgrade XP to Vista, there's no coming back to XP short of reformatting.

Edit: I just read up some more on this. Apparently it IS possible to revert back, but there are major problems in XP then. Suggestion is to do a clean reinstall of XP.

Will my restore disks do the trick?

yes

I want DESPERATELY to run XP on my new Gateway MX8711 laptop. But Gateway won't let me.
After the pre-installed VISTA goofed on me for the hundredth time, I called Gateway suport, and they said they couldn't help.
So...I used dban to wipe the hard drive. When I attempted installing an OEM copy of XP Pro, the message said XP couldn't find a working hard drive on the machine.
Unable to figure it out, I re-installed VISTA, but only until I can determine how to get rid of it.
Can anyone help?

I hate VISTA because it's slow; hangs up regularly; and, MS apparently wants to use it to control EVRYTHING I want to do!
I have 2 Gigs of Kingston RAM, plus, a 2 Gig Kingston flash drive dedicated to MS's so-called Ready Boost. Even so, the thing is still slower that Windows 98 on my ancient AMD 500MHz/20G Hard Drive desk top. I've got serious work to do to earn a living. I don't have time for this crap.

Thanx,
organics1

To install XP on obscure disk controllers e.g some sata cards, scsi cards found in servers, and some laptop drives you need to hit F6 at the blue screen part and insert a driver floppy (only a floppy will do)

JB,
Thanks. But the question I now have is which drivers need to be installed if I wipe the hard drive with dban? Motherboard drivers? Hard drive drivers?
Gateway did tell me which Intel motherboard is on the MX8711, but a search of the Intel site showed no drivers for it.
Obviously, they are contained on the Gateway Recivery Disk, but I don't know how to extract just the drivers I need...even if that's possible.

Regards,
organics1

motherboard drivers (for the disk controller)

if the drivers are extractable they will have the .inf extension

There probably is a use by date on the original posters vista upgrade.

Also if you're sending payment (for p&p) to the netherlands. don't. they pretended they didnt have my cheque, cancelled the order,then cashed it. (yeah i shoulda cancelled the cheque, but i'm you and dumb and it was only £14).

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.