For some reason my control panel will not open. When I try to access it, it pops up with an error message that says:

Windows Explorer has stopped working

Windows can check online for a solution to the problem and try to restart the program.

> Check online for a solution and restart the program
> Restart the program

When I select the first option it acts like it's trying to retrieve info from online, then it just restarts explorer.exe

Now, I may be completely off by assuming that this error is related to having a non-compatible version of Norton Anti-Virus installed. Yet I will go on to ask if anyone knows how to get directly to the Add/Remove Programs area in Windows without having to go through the control panel. i.e. C://Windows/... ???

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

go to start ,Run ,type in, appwiz.cpl. to get to add remove programs.or
have you tried safe mode,hitting f8 on bootup go to safe mode

go to start ,Run ,type in, appwiz.cpl. to get to add remove programs.or
have you tried safe mode,hitting f8 on bootup go to safe mode

wow, i feel pretty retarded to not have thought about safe mode. still new to vista tho, so thanks for the advice.

hopefully this isn't too much to ask, but can you tell me the other "shortcuts" to get to other control panel tools?

hopefully this isn't too much to ask, but can you tell me the other "shortcuts" to get to other control panel tools?

sorry thats the only one i know!
You could try a program caleed ccleaner it has a add and remove feature but im not sure if it works when the windows control panel is not functioning ..the ccleaner uninstall function is in the tools section ,ccleaner is a very safe program i use it all the time for about 2 yrs now .
you can find ccleaner at www.filehippo.com

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.