I'm sure there's a simple answer to this persistent problem and I hope that someone can enlighten me with their knowledge.
Last week, my computer (running windows xp) suddenly stopped communicating with my printer (hp laserjet 4L) after I attempted to print an e-mail through netscape.
The printer status line next to the document name reads "offline...printing," though the printer is definitely online.
I cannot print from any program, nor from a command prompt.
I have run through all of the troubleshooting functions -- uninstalling/reinstalling the printer, printer driver, port, etc.
The printer works just fine, as I can print from another computer.
Is it possible that the print spooler is jammed (can this happen)? If so, how does one fix the problem? Or, is there another problem?
Thanks for any enlightenment you can provide!

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Your spooler is according to me jammed. You should be able to look inside your spooler however and it should be possible to stop the process. And have you looked in the configuration screen and then the Printers options?

Find the 'Printers' entry in Control Panel, and when you locate the entry for your printer, right-click it and choose 'Open'

You should get a dialogu box which contains entries for documents in the print queue.
On the Menu system somewhere, you'll have an entry "Cancel all Documents" or "Purge Documents". That's the one you need to use!

It might take a while to clear it out, so don't be alarmed if there's a bit of a wait for it to fully respond.

Find the 'Printers' entry in Control Panel, and when you locate the entry for your printer, right-click it and choose 'Open'

You should get a dialogu box which contains entries for documents in the print queue.
On the Menu system somewhere, you'll have an entry "Cancel all Documents" or "Purge Documents". That's the one you need to use!

It might take a while to clear it out, so don't be alarmed if there's a bit of a wait for it to fully respond.

Thanks for your reply! There are no items in the print queue. My computer is somehow stuck on reading the printer in offline mode, but the printer is actually online.

Hi all, sure need help . OS is XP Pro , with SP 1 . deleted old printer , pluged in new one . went to install new software . now the problem , the spooler has stoped running . started spooler again , checked task manager an it wont stay running . spooler is set to auto . can not install new software . Help befor i go crazy !

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.