please help... :cry:

When I load up my computer, it crashes...ok, that was vague, let me explain.

I boot up, and it loads but when it gets to the desktop and starts load there, the "blue" error screen and says that all my programs have crashed through a problem with KRNL386.exe.

I can boot up in safe mode (option 3), and I can even boot up using the selective startup (option 4), and disabling all but npos.vxd. But if I do either way, my internet connection is not working at all.

I do have a router that I use. There is another computer using the router and it works fine (thats where I am typing this).

There is also one other thing. It seems that as a result of this, when I can boot up, as described above, windows media player is not working at all either. In fact, when I try to run it, it gives me an MS-DOS error prompt.

The crazy thing is that this happened all over-night litterally!

Someone help me,

--Mike Mussenden

Contributors
Replies
Views
13 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by alc6379

This just started happening overnight?

It's possible to run System Restore from a command line. If you can boot into DOS, you may find these instructions useful:

http://support.dell.com/us/en/kb/document.asp?dn=1041988

It mentions a Dell system, but if you have some kind of Windows startup disk (Your Windows ME installation disc would suffice), the instructions work all the same.

well, i took it to get fixed and it still has some problems...im just going to get a new computer....thanks anyway!!!

--mike

Wait just a minute!

Don't "get a new computer" just because of an issue like this-- it's ALL software related probably, and can be fixed, maybe with an OS reinstall, perhaps. I'm not trying to talk you out of a new computer, but I can tell you that this one can definitely be fixed.

If nothing's wrong with your hardware, you've still got a perfectly good computer there. It could all be resolved by wiping out the hard drive, and reinstalling Windows on the system.

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.