Hi,

I recently got a pc from my friend who was running windows 2000 server on it
Since it got infected with some virus ( I dont know what ) many windows were being opened without my intervention and the cpu utilization would go to 100% and the system would go unresponsive.
I tried to clean it up but it did not work so I decided to format it and install windows 2000 professional instead.
However when I tried to install windows 2000 prof,I get funny error messages saying that the boot disk is not found.( the disk is fine as I used it on another system and it works fine)
When I tried to install linux, it installs as if there were no problem at all.
Again I tried to install windows 2000 prof, but then again it would not let me install it again displaying the same error.
I assumed when I installed linux, I formatted the hard disk and it should not be a problem installing windows..but the problem remains.

I am unable to figure what could be the problem and basically that leaves me clue less to find a fix for it.

Any suggestions..I would definately appretiate your help if you can get me back in windows again.

Thanks,
Sekhar

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Well i never actually used Windows 2000 Before but i whould recommmend useing KillDisk Program (a Floppy Disk) now this will KillDisk anything that is on the Hard Drive I mean everything although you will have to Format it back to FAT32 or NTFS to install Windows but i use Windows XP SP2 Boot Disk which i use to clean up computers (not all the time) but i do manage. anyway here are some things i did to get a Clean Installed Verison of Windows oh and about the Lindows/Linux thing that is also true i tried to use the Boot Disk but whouldnt load so i had to KillDisk it.

(just to make sure b4 i start)
I HOPE YOU CHECKED YOUR BOOTING! IN BIOS

What you will require to do this walkthrough is:
A KillDisk (Floppy)

A Windows 2000 Professional CD

A Computer with CD-ROM access

To start the install, first check that the first boot device in your system BIOS is set to the CD-ROM Drive.

( To find out how to access the BIOS please refer to your motherboard manual or the manufacturer of your Laptop. (The system bios can usually be entered on boot, usually by pressing the F1, F2, F8, F10 or DEL key. Make sure you save the settings before exiting))

If you are unsure or don't want to enter the BIOS then just test the computer by putting the CD-ROM in the drive and reboot your computer. This is the recommended way to install windows.

If you have problems setting the bios for CD-Rom to boot first then you can download the Windows 2000 boot disks from here

http://download.windowsreinstall.com/www/downloads/index.php?dlid=3

PART 1
Downloading KillDisk
http://download2.lsoft.net/killdiskfloppysetup.exe
PART 2
Now that you have made the KillDisk and you have the Windows 2000 CD its time to try this to fix up ya computer.
PART 3
Insert the KillDisk into your Floppy drive.
Turn on computer from here the Computer should Read the floppy hopefully if your BIOS is setup to boot it.
Once you get the Disk Read you should come to a screen like this
http://www.its.niu.edu/its/downloads/images/killdisk_image3_small.jpg
What you do is you select the Hard Drive you are about to Clean.
which is "Local Disk C"
Depending on how long it will take to clean is how big your Hard Drive is if its like 40GB it could take up to 1 Hour i think when i did it.
PART 4
OKAY your finally done Cleaning!?
Now try to Install Windows 2000!

Oh and if you dont understand how to use KillDisk go to www.KillDisk.com

And More Help at http://www.windowsreinstall.com/

hello,
i am not sure if this forum was still open or not but i am in desparate need of help. i have had a similar problem with my computer and i followed the instructions as was given to the other member. i used KILLDISK and erased my hard drive and tried to use the windows 2000 pro cd to install the 2K OS on my hard drive....but...it wont let me do it. the reason for this is because it is saying that it doesnt recognize any previous versions of windows installed on the hard drive....... :?:

the only cd i have in my possesion is the windows 2k pro cd, whats should i do to continue the installation?!?!?

PLEEEASSE HELP!!

I'm assuming that you are booting to the Windows 2000 CD to install it? Are there any RAID drivers involved or is it a straight-forward install?

If this is a straight-forward install and you were booting to the W2K disc, your BIOS is set to boot to CD, and then if KillDisk didn't work right, I would suggest this method if you have or can borrow another computer:

You could use Disk Management, but the drive has to be slaved into or otherwise attached (they have USB devices/hard drive enclosures for this if you don't want to mess with jumper settings) into a pre-existing system that already has XP or 2000 on it. If you slave it in, as long as you can read the markings on the hard drives, and assuming they are marked, make sure your drive's jumper is set to slave and the pre-existing drive to master with slave (or just master if option not available). You'll obviously have to open the computer to do all of this. Hopefully you'll have a dual ribbon that will permit this (will have two IDE connectors for connecting two drives), or otherwise they're $10 at the local computer store if there's just one connector on that wide cable going to your hard drive - just replace your old single connector cable with the new dual, but match up the pins on the motherboard connector to have the empty area on it match the blanked out square on the ribbon's blue connector. The pre-existing master drive goes on the far end, yours on the second connector. Boot up. Right-click My Computer, click Manage, hit Disk Management in the console. It will take a moment to analyze your hard drives. Find the empty volume - your drive, and click it - it should likely ask you if you wish to initialize it - SAY YES. If it doesn't on selecting it, right-click it and choose to make it active. After this you can right-click the drive and hit format and it should prompt you with the type of format (quick/full, FAT32/NTFS), and you should be able to format it appropriately. When done, you'll need to power down that computer, disconnect your hard drive, reset the jumpers on both, reconnect your drive to your other machine, and start again, but it should hopefully work now. Good luck.

Just a quick thought... you said

"the reason for this is because it is saying that it doesnt recognize any previous versions of windows installed on the hard drive"

This sounds like you have an Win 2000 Pro upgrade disk.
If this is the case you have to have an older windows on your machine first.

Upgrade disks require an older version to be installed already.

Just a quick thought... you said

"the reason for this is because it is saying that it doesnt recognize any previous versions of windows installed on the hard drive"

This sounds like you have an Win 2000 Pro upgrade disk.
If this is the case you have to have an older windows on your machine first.

Upgrade disks require an older version to be installed already.

Now that I think about it this sounds like your issue. Damn I feel dumb. Good job figuring that out, dewman - I forgot they made upgrade discs to 2000 instead of just full versions.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.