St3v3boy 0 Light Poster

Hi,

Another post...

I'm getting access denied messages for everything I try to do on my desktop via the laptop. desktop is running XP sp2, laptop is Vista.

I need to share my printer. The help on HPs website was taken from Microsoft. I have added my comments at each stage. Does anyone know how to work around this please?

Thanks

Steven

Use an account that has administrative credentials to log on to the Windows XP SP2-based computer. ok

Click Start, and then click My Computer. ok

On the Tools menu, click Folder Options. ok

On the View tab, click to clear the Use simple file sharing check box in the Advanced settings list, click Apply, and then click OK. I dont have the "use simple file sharing" option

In My computer, double-click the hard disk drive on which Windows XP is installed. ok

NOTE: By default, Windows XP is installed on Local Disk (C:).

Double-click Windows. ok

NOTE: If you receive a "These Files are hidden" message, click Show the contents of this folder to view the contents of the folder.

Double-click System32. ok

NOTE: If you receive a "These Files are hidden" message, click Show the contents of this folder to view the contents of the folder.

Right-click Spool, and then click Properties. ok

On the Security tab, click Advanced. I dont have a security tab, or advanced settings. I cant proceed past this point

On the Permissions tab, click Add.

In the Enter the object name to select box, type the name of a user or of a group. This is the user or the group to which you want to give printer permissions on the Windows Vista-based computer. Then, click OK.

In the Apply onto list, click This Folder, subfolders and files.

In the Permissions list, locate Full Control, click to select the Allow check box, and then click OK.

In the Advanced Security Settings for spool dialog box, click Apply, and then click OK.

In the Spool Properties dialog box, click OK.

Add the shared printer to the Windows Vista-based computer.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.