Hi

I am trying to delete a folder but I get the error message:

"Cannot delete file: Cannot read from the source file or disk."

I also cannot move, copy or cut & paste it.

I can, in the same location, create a folder with exactly the same name
(strange!) and then delete the old folder, but when I attempt to delete the new one, it has assumed the old folder's creation date, and I get the same error message.

I tried to use the save mode also cannot delete it . i used DOS to del i get the erro msg . "d:\ file not exist " but u can see the folder still there !!
In window Xp u can see it but unable to delete it .... any files copy inside this folder can deleted only the "folder" unable to delete !....
i suspect it is a dll file .....

Appreciate all friends can help me ..

Recommended Answers

Download a software called unlocker it checks what processed are running on the file and can dive you the option to either delete the file or kill the process

Jump to Post

That is a virus call 'New PE Heur' Virus which can be detected by nod32 antivirus it creates new folder by the type is stated to be an application so i would advice you to get a hard disk that has good updated nod32 antivirus and clean your harddrive of …

Jump to Post

All 7 Replies

Download a software called unlocker it checks what processed are running on the file and can dive you the option to either delete the file or kill the process

thank you , but i tried oledi ,
i unable to unlock this folder and it create another new folder as i mention ..

create a folder with exactly the same name
(strange!) and then delete the old folder, but when I attempt to delete the new one, it has assumed the old folder's creation date, and I get the same error message

That is a virus call 'New PE Heur' Virus which can be detected by nod32 antivirus it creates new folder by the type is stated to be an application so i would advice you to get a hard disk that has good updated nod32 antivirus and clean your harddrive of it

yeah, i was a noobie as well, i apologize to the whole community for creating these newbie monsters

Very annoying but I had the same case a few weeks ago. I tried the longpath tool suggested in this comment. It worked great and I got it from pathtoodeep(dot)com :)

Hello, I used to haave this problem too.
I found easy to use program - path too long utility.

Windows tool to copy and delete files and folders with long paths. Just browse to the file and press a button to delete it, that’s it!
More info heere http://www.pathtoolong.com/

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of 1.21 million developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts learning and sharing knowledge.