i have almost the same problem.. when i try to start my computer it loads up normally and when the windows xp screen finishes loading up it just blanks out. i tried to boot the computer from a windows xp disc but when it says "press any key to boot" i press any key and it goes blank again.. WHAT DO I DO?!?!!

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Had same problem with my old compaq presario 2800. It seemed to happen to me when I installed an updated video driver......... but, what do u know, it caused my logon screen to dissapear. Since HP and Compaq have merged together, I don't know if the keyboard is the same design or not, but this is how i fixed the problem. This is the response I got when I posted my similar question about the missing logon screen: "Try FN+F4 to cycle the video modes. If you can get a display maybe try the ATI driver update as well: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...item=hb-21505-1" -antioed.

the big thing is.. i don't have a hp or compaq computer so i don't have that setup on my keyboard

Sounds like it's set to a refresh rate or video mode that the thing can't display to me.

Boot it all the way up, when it's done, hit Alt-F4, and hit the U key after. Do this a few times. If your laptop shuts itself down when you do this, you have successfully told Windows to shut down, so the machine is working, but set to a video mode it cannot display. If you do this several times, and the machine doesn't do a thing, then it isn't completing bootup. See what that gives us to work with.

well to clear it up it's not a laptop that i'm working with.. it does shutdown though.. what's next?

Sounds like it's set to a refresh rate or video mode that the thing can't display to me.

Boot it all the way up, when it's done, hit Alt-F4, and hit the U key after. Do this a few times. If your laptop shuts itself down when you do this, you have successfully told Windows to shut down, so the machine is working, but set to a video mode it cannot display. If you do this several times, and the machine doesn't do a thing, then it isn't completing bootup. See what that gives us to work with.

well to clear it up it's not a laptop that i'm working with.. it does shutdown though.. what's next?

There are two people posting questions in this thread, Whatever_b1188 and sprinter18, sprinter18 needs to start his own thread so this one can concentrate on Whatever.

Agreed. Splinter, could you please outline your problem a bit more clearly, so that you can receive some assistance.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.