it was very interesting reading all of the post for this thread. all about OEm and full version. but in my own experience activation and genuine are two different things. i have 3 pc at home 2 with windows media center (10 lic version) and one with windows xp pro full version. i have home edition full install,(how do u know when it is OEM version) i install the home edition ( i made it into an unattend install disk) on a friend laptop that crash, and used the product key from the sticker on the pc, i was able to activate and get genuine product, as for the media center pc i had to do a repair and it wanted me to activate, i used the product key on this desktop yet it would not activate. i had to call in to microsoft, to get it activated. but i was still not able to get genuine products. like window media player V11. i have to remove the key and use my 10 key lic to make it work.

how do u know when it is OEM version

not sure if this is correct or not but when you right click on mycomputer and go to properties you will see a long reg number and mine has oem in it ,not sure as i say if this a way of telling ,did you download the Microsoft genuine activation tool/activex

well if you buy from a big company say dell it will be OEM but he is getting OEM becasue he told us :P

Yep there aint no piracy in here bennet. I am not asking for any downloaded windows copy or anything i am just trying to save some money but still buying authentic MS windows copy off a legitimate website. I know daniweb's rules and dont really want to have piracy issues with me. Thats why i want to go for a OEM version...not to be illegal or anything just to have a cheaper option.

Regards
Raj

Thanx cj but i think after all the discussion i d rather go for the xp pro oem.i ve seen it cheap on a couple of uk sites cos m not sure if they ll deliver to UK from Canada.

I normally use Ebuyer...and another one is savapoint which is quite cheap.

(Off Topic: If anyone of you want to get a good deal on PS3, savapoint got one with extra controller and 3 games for just 399...just 399 because here in UK its around 450+ish)

Anyhow i do appreciate all you guys' concerns and suggestions and do hope to keep em coming for any newcomings in this matter.

Regards
Raj

@ Caperkack
ok so u have to do an actual install to know if u have an OEM version.
I did try to genuine pack and rtan it got a code but when i enter it on the MS page it say software not genuine, thets when i had to change the key and re-activate then i was able to get genuine.

@ Caperkack
ok so u have to do an actual install to know if u have an OEM version.
I did try to genuine pack and rtan it got a code but when i enter it on the MS page it say software not genuine, thets when i had to change the key and re-activate then i was able to get genuine.

usually oem would be marked on the windows disk i do believe ,or if the case sticker is intact it would show there i do believe

ok, well i dont beleive i have any OEm apart from the restore cd's i have gathered from repairing other people PC's

i must admit i have vista home pro OEM and i've changed harddrives 4 times! no problems so far, also i've upgraded the ram and still no probs.

i must admit i'm currently working on building a completely new pc using the intel core duo and i was going to use the same vista oem os i'm using now, so i dont know if that would be completely different.

i'll let you know if i run into problems.

having said that i did upgrade an old pc with a new mobo and cpu, with it i completely reinstalled XP home (which again was a OEM version)

once i started installing it i entered the validation number, using the phone number that came up on the screen i entered the code given.

A problem did occur (due to the hardware change) i was prompted to speak to a microsoft technician which i did i then explained to them that i had purchased the original pc from pc world years ago and just wanted to use it on another pc instead. without a batter of an eyelid she gave me a new code which validated the software and that was that, no problem.

just thought that might help.

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.