Dont talk about piracy

it was very interesting reading all of the post for this thread. all about OEm and full version. but in my own experience activation and genuine are two different things. i have 3 pc at home 2 with windows media center (10 lic version) and one with windows xp pro full version. i have home edition full install,(how do u know when it is OEM version) i install the home edition ( i made it into an unattend install disk) on a friend laptop that crash, and used the product key from the sticker on the pc, i was able to activate and get genuine product, as for the media center pc i had to do a repair and it wanted me to activate, i used the product key on this desktop yet it would not activate. i had to call in to microsoft, to get it activated. but i was still not able to get genuine products. like window media player V11. i have to remove the key and use my 10 key lic to make it work.

how do u know when it is OEM version

not sure if this is correct or not but when you right click on mycomputer and go to properties you will see a long reg number and mine has oem in it ,not sure as i say if this a way of telling ,did you download the Microsoft genuine activation tool/activex

well if you buy from a big company say dell it will be OEM but he is getting OEM becasue he told us :P

Yep there aint no piracy in here bennet. I am not asking for any downloaded windows copy or anything i am just trying to save some money but still buying authentic MS windows copy off a legitimate website. I know daniweb's rules and dont really want to have piracy issues with me. Thats why i want to go for a OEM version...not to be illegal or anything just to have a cheaper option.

Regards
Raj

Thanx cj but i think after all the discussion i d rather go for the xp pro oem.i ve seen it cheap on a couple of uk sites cos m not sure if they ll deliver to UK from Canada.

I normally use Ebuyer...and another one is savapoint which is quite cheap.

(Off Topic: If anyone of you want to get a good deal on PS3, savapoint got one with extra controller and 3 games for just 399...just 399 because here in UK its around 450+ish)

Anyhow i do appreciate all you guys' concerns and suggestions and do hope to keep em coming for any newcomings in this matter.

Regards
Raj

for cheap XP pro OEM in the UK check out novatech

@ Caperkack
ok so u have to do an actual install to know if u have an OEM version.
I did try to genuine pack and rtan it got a code but when i enter it on the MS page it say software not genuine, thets when i had to change the key and re-activate then i was able to get genuine.

@ Caperkack
ok so u have to do an actual install to know if u have an OEM version.
I did try to genuine pack and rtan it got a code but when i enter it on the MS page it say software not genuine, thets when i had to change the key and re-activate then i was able to get genuine.

usually oem would be marked on the windows disk i do believe ,or if the case sticker is intact it would show there i do believe

ok, well i dont beleive i have any OEm apart from the restore cd's i have gathered from repairing other people PC's

i must admit i have vista home pro OEM and i've changed harddrives 4 times! no problems so far, also i've upgraded the ram and still no probs.

i must admit i'm currently working on building a completely new pc using the intel core duo and i was going to use the same vista oem os i'm using now, so i dont know if that would be completely different.

i'll let you know if i run into problems.

having said that i did upgrade an old pc with a new mobo and cpu, with it i completely reinstalled XP home (which again was a OEM version)

once i started installing it i entered the validation number, using the phone number that came up on the screen i entered the code given.

A problem did occur (due to the hardware change) i was prompted to speak to a microsoft technician which i did i then explained to them that i had purchased the original pc from pc world years ago and just wanted to use it on another pc instead. without a batter of an eyelid she gave me a new code which validated the software and that was that, no problem.

just thought that might help.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.