I just did a cold install of Vista on a self-built system. Didn't load any other software or drivers. Just Vista.
The problem is that I can't do a reboot. When I choose the restart option, Vista shuts down, the screen goes black, and the computer hangs. Power stays on, everything on the PC stays running, but Vista never restarts.
However, when I go into Safe Mode, and then restart, no problems.
While in regular Vista mode, I used "run: msconfig" with selective startup, but disabling startup items and system services didn't have an effect.
How can I figure out what's causing this? Is my system just not strong enough for Vista? Or is this just the typical Vista bugs everyone speaks of?
My system stats:
- AMD Sempron 3400+ Socket 754 CPU 2GHz
- Hitachi 80GB Serial ATA HD 7200/8MB/SATA-3G
- Biostar NF325A7 nVidia Socket 754 Motherboard
- Rendition 1024MB PC3200 DDR 400MHz
- Lite-On 16x DVD Rom DH-16D2P-08
And my Vista stats. . .
- Windows Vista Ultimate 32-bit DSP OEM
I appreciate any help with this frustrating mystery!