WindowsXP Home, IE6 with all updates, Ad-Adwae run daily.

I think my IE6 is corrupted, there are many websites that I cannot connect to. An example is ESPN. When I click the link on IE, it looks like it starts loading, but never finishes.The blue bar goes about 1/3 of the way and stops. Then a plain white screen appears. Typing in the address does not make any difference. This happens with many different websites, while others work fine.
I downloaded Netscape and the same sites work fine. I have done all of the Windows updates, have scanned for viruses and found none and Norton Systemworks finds no problems.
In addition I have been getting a lot of Windows errors, that I never received before.

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

Just because i don't like it and all the problems it created on my computer when it was installed ,start by getting rid of Norton system works .

I think my IE6 is corrupted, there are many websites that I cannot connect to. In addition I have been getting a lot of Windows errors that I never received before.

Check to make sure that you have the latest version of the Java runtime executable, and that IE is set to use it. The setting is under the IE Tools menu (I'm sorry I can't give you exact instructions, I'm in Linux right now) -- http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/download.html
Windows installation is mid-page (scroll down). The Windows Java Vitual Machine (JVM) is really crappy and can generate weird errors. The fact that Mozilla works points to this as a possibility; a newer version of the Sun JRE will benefit both IE and Mozilla. Even if it doesn't fix the problem, it's still a good idea.

try going to add remove programs, select IE, select add/remove, select repair IE & hit ok

try going to add remove programs, select IE, select add/remove, select repair IE & hit ok

Does this apply to Win98?? Im afraid to do this in case it removes IE6 :(

I recently formatted my hard drive and now when I boot my computer, I get a notice that a file is missing or corrupted ( IE DLL.exe ) My IE6 seems to work fine though??? I've looked in the IE6 file and the IE DLL exe is there. Must be corrupted. Is there a way to replace this file short of re-installing IE6?

Doug

DLL files are not EXE files ,something isn't right with that missing files .maybe a virus related file .

Does this apply to Win98?? Im afraid to do this in case it removes IE6 :( ... Doug

yes, it works w/Win98. the process does not actually uninstall the program; it only fixes, or attempts to fix actually, whatever files it identifies as being a component of IE and overwrites whatever corrupted files it detects. it safe, but it doesnt fix every problem either.

DLL files are not EXE files ,something isn't right with that missing files .maybe a virus related file .

Thats what it says when I boot the computer, IE DLL.exe. I've looked in the IE6 folder and there is an exe icon and it says IE DLL.exe.

Doug

Thanks aeinstein, I ran the repair IE thing and it seemed to work. I'm not getting the message when I boot up. Time will tell.

Below is a paragraph from another post, what do you think?

>>I looked up what iedll is on the internet and found this post from another site

There is no IEDLL.EXE. If your system claims to need it, run RegEdit and search for IEDLL.EXE. Delete any references you find.
Search your hard drive for IEDLL.EXE and delete all occurrences.

Install a good AV program with current virus definitions, and scan your system (all files).

...you can always just run a search on the names of the errors that pops up, ive noticed i get things like that too when i download useless stuff on the pc, lol. i hope this is some help<<

I think if you find ie.dll.exe you should delete them , like i said before dll file are not executiables therfor would not have the .exe extension,DLL means , dynamic link library, files that are axcessed by its related programs EXE file .

Caperjack;

I did run RegEdit and poked around in there but didn't delete anything. RegEdit is a place that I never go, in fact this was the first time I've been in there, makes me nervous when I don't really know what I'm doing. Maybe it would be just as easy to take IE6 out and reload it all.

Doug

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.