Yesterday I put Windows 2000 driver CD into my CD-Rom drive and suddenly my laptop doesn't "see" that drive anymore.

When I go to system/hardware, it's telling me that I'm having a Device Manager Error Code 19 and that my registry might be corrupted. I found this information that may possibly fix this problem for me, BUT I have no idea what an upperfilter or lowerfilter is. Can anyone help me shed some light on this??

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Remove the Upperfilters and Lowerfilters values completely from the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

tomglawson commented: This worked perfectly! +0

Recommended Answers

All 32 Replies

Hi:

Follow steps:

Start, Run, Regedit, find key, select key, expand it. then delete the to sub keys listed. I have no idea what they mean. I ran into the same problem after adding a BackPack-CDR to my system.
Good Luck
Carter

Thank you SO much Carter! I will try this tonight when I get home. I'll let you know the outcome.

Thanks again,
Jenifer

hi i just found your reply to the problem of missing cd drive, i followed your advise and i would like to say a big thank you. it worked first time.

lestat92

Hey,
i have the same problem. what are the upper and lower filters? do I need to un install and reinstallm y CD roms after, or do they automatically repair?

thanks

toby

did anyone help you yet?

Sorry i dont know what they are either but if you follow the instructions above and just delete the filters your comp with recognise your cd drive again without any re-installing od drivers,(at least i didnt need to re-install any, i am running windows 2000 pro on a dell laptop)

all the best. lestat

first of all thanks for replying. I have two computers, my newer one has upper and lower filters, but my older P2 doesnt. Im going to try to blow away the whole reg file sub-keys and try to re-install. unless you have another idea

thanks

Sorry i dont know what they are either but if you follow the instructions above and just delete the filters your comp with recognise your cd drive again without any re-installing od drivers,(at least i didnt need to re-install any, i am running windows 2000 pro on a dell laptop)

all the best. lestat

dont know how deleting those filters fixes anything but i worked, thank you

just so you know same fix works in Vista 64 as well
Cheers

Yesterday I put Windows 2000 driver CD into my CD-Rom drive and suddenly my laptop doesn't "see" that drive anymore.

When I go to system/hardware, it's telling me that I'm having a Device Manager Error Code 19 and that my registry might be corrupted. I found this information that may possibly fix this problem for me, BUT I have no idea what an upperfilter or lowerfilter is. Can anyone help me shed some light on this??

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Remove the Upperfilters and Lowerfilters values completely from the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Best answer, quick, short and sweet! Thanks! Worked like a flash!

Hello people need some help I have that Code 19 and my CD-ROM is not working I have no idea what to do did tried to go to Regedit but not sure what key I am looking for could you please help me out here.

Thank you

Hi:

Follow steps:

Start, Run, Regedit, find key, select key, expand it. then delete the to sub keys listed. I have no idea what they mean. I ran into the same problem after adding a BackPack-CDR to my system.
Good Luck
Carter

Thanks! The solution worked perfectly!

I have had the same problem for awhile now and I just found this site today. I would like to say a HUGE THANK YOU! It was an easy fix and it works now, thanks so much!!!!!!! :icon_exclaim:

Hi:

Follow steps:

Good Luck
Carter

hi guys my computer wont reconise my dvd player and i got the message saying code 19 how do i fix it please, if any body can help i would be so greatful.

can anyone tell me how to fix a code 19, im running on windows xp and its my dvd/cd drive it wont reconise, thanks

HOW TO FIX CODE 19.
hey guys i found out how to do it and it was so simple .

Step 1: Start Registry Editor
Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK. Registry Editor starts.
Step 2: Delete the UpperFilters registry entry
1. In Registry Editor, expand My Computer, and then expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
2. Expand SYSTEM, and then expand CurrentControlSet.
3. Expand Control, and then expand Class.
4. Under Class, click {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}.
5. In the right pane (topic area), click UpperFilters.

Note An UpperFilters.bak registry entry may also appear. To delete the UpperFilters registry entry, you must click UpperFilters and not UpperFilters.bak.
6. On the Edit menu, click Delete.
7. When you receive the following message, click Yes to confirm the deletion of the UpperFilters registry entry:
Are you sure you want to delete this value?
The UpperFilters registry entry is removed from the {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} registry subkey.

Note Do not exit Registry Editor. You must have this program for the next step.
Step 3: Delete the LowerFilters registry entry
1. In Registry Editor, expand My Computer, and then expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
2. Expand SYSTEM, and then expand CurrentControlSet.
3. Expand Control, and then expand Class.
4. Under Class, click {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}.
5. In the right pane (topic area), click LowerFilters.

Note An LowerFilters.bak registry entry may also appear. To delete the LowerFilters registry entry, you must click LowerFilters and not LowerFilters.bak.
6. On the Edit menu, click Delete.
7. When you receive the following message, click Yes to confirm the deletion of the LowerFilters registry entry:
Are you sure you want to delete this value?
The LowerFilters registry entry is removed from the {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} registry subkey.
8. Exit Registry Editor.

THEN JUST RESTART YOUR COMPUTER

Just type in 'Error code 39' in youtube search, my video solution will come up. It works for error codes 19, 31, 32 and 39.

Please Help...I am not an expert...I have a DellE-510 pc with and optiarc dvd+-rw nd-3570A dvd/cd burner...The burner was working fine up until last friday...Now the system is telling me I have a code 19 registry error...I have tried everything, including removing the upper and lower filters in the registry key...still won't acknowledge them...is the driver shot? what else can I do short of buying anew internal or external drive? when I load a cd the green light blinks for about 20 seconds and then goes dark...

I was trying to install a new CD-RW (external) for my laptop and everyhting was fine but can't see the drive. Looked at device manager and found the drive is there but not working and thais was the erro
"Code 19 - Your registry might be corrupted"
I uninstalled the drive and restarted and reinstalled again but still same problem
Tried to update the drivers, still same problem.
Checked MS site but did not find any real solution (they said to change the bios or something like that).
Anyone know what is going on?

geovani

SEO

I have followed the steps and removed the Upper and Lower filters and I am still getting the error message: Configuration info (in the registry) incomplete, damaged (code 19). I have also uninstalled and reinstalled the hardware as well and that did not help either. Any suggestions?

Same problem...removed filters, uninstall/reinstall, etc...nothing helps. Checked the registry on a known good computer just for kicks and it does contain the "UpperFilters" component but no "LowerFilters"

I am having the same problem. I am running XP and installed a new cd-rom drive into my computer. I followed all of your helpful steps but my computer is STILL not recognizing the drive. Is there anything that you could suggest I do to resolve this problem?

Thank you very much Carter. By following your hint, I fixed my problem with Canon EOS Rebel XT driver issue, where the hardware property shows Code 19 error. The Class Lower Filters of the detailed hardware property shows lvmvdrv, which caught my attention.
Initially, I removed the complete tree and it wouldn't work. Later on, I removed the value data "lvmvdrv" for the value name LowerFilters and it worked! I remember that I removed the driver of my Logitech web cam earlier. So I believe that's where the problem started.

Thanks again.

Hi:

Follow steps:

Good Luck
Carter

I have followed the steps and removed the Upper and Lower filters and I am still getting the error message: Configuration info (in the registry) incomplete, damaged (code 19). I have also uninstalled and reinstalled the hardware as well and that did not help either. Any suggestions?

I'm having the same problem whereby removing the upper and lower filters and uninstalling/reinstalling the hardware does not correct the problem. Corrective suggestions?

I'm having the same problem whereby removing the upper and lower filters and uninstalling/reinstalling the hardware does not correct the problem. Corrective suggestions?

Having same prob. PC lost CD and DVD burner icons and prob. 19 said they were not installed. I followed all the above steps and regained the icons for both but only the CD worlks--the DVD does not. How can I fix the DVD? PC says it is working properly in device mgr. but it will not burn or play---thanks in advance.

Hi,

My problem is not with the CD-ROM. I have a device through which I connect to my office VPN. But, when I insert the device in the USB port, it gives me the code 19 error stating that the device driver is not installed and you have to install the same to get it running.

Since, this is a registry error, will deleting upper filters and lower filters help?

But, where exactly do I have to do this? can anyone shed any light on this?

Regards,
Sanju

I want to thanks you for posting the solution. I had tried the Microsoft Fix It utility that was designed to fix the problem but did not.
This worked perfectly.
Only thing to add is to backup the Registry first (always a good practice).
And you need to reboot to see the change.

I have Dell and got this code 19 error when I tried to reinstall drivers from the Dell delivered driver CD after I reinstalled the OS.
Searched for a while to find a solution to no avail until I came upon this.

I am running Vista home edition

So in summary

1. Start,
2. Run, (for vista home type cmd in the run box)
3. Regedit,
4. export registry,
5. find key,
6. select key,
7. expand key
8. Remove the Upperfilters and Lowerfilters values completely
9. reboot/restart

Previously I ran the Microsoft Fixit solution for code 19,that did not work for me,
but for those of you that this is not working for maybe the combination will do the trick.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.