Windows XP 5.1 SP1
IE 6.0 SP1 and a bunch of Qs.

Seen this posted before without a resolution, surely some super techie out there has some additional thoughts.

IE Option - Reuse Windows for Launching Shortcuts is unchecked...

Open in New Window replaces existing window
File New Window replaces existing window
Everything that you imagine would open multiple windows does not, simply replaces existing.

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

download sp2 and update IE. the browser i like to use is mozilla firefox but switching to that is simply something that you decide. Or you could reinstall IE restore options to windows default or you are just going to have to right click links and say open in new window. I personally prefer tabbed browsing in firefox which allows you to surf multiple pages with less clutter on your desktop.

P.s I almost forgot do an ad-aware scan and a spybot scan then post your hijack this log here maybe someone can figure out how to fix it with that info.

i dont recomend getting SP2 just yet, there have been alot of issues with it, and most of the machines at my fathers work are actually runnig worse with it. its far to buggy to be getting just yet.

commented: didnt offer a suggestion on how to fix problem +0

then how should he fix these problems. I myself dont have sp2 and dont need it i get the same security it gives you for IE from the mozilla firefox I have on sp1 its just some people are hardcore IE fans and dislike the feel of mozilla.

Windows XP 5.1 SP1
IE 6.0 SP1 and a bunch of Qs.

Seen this posted before without a resolution, surely some super techie out there has some additional thoughts.

IE Option - Reuse Windows for Launching Shortcuts is unchecked...

Open in New Window replaces existing window
File New Window replaces existing window
Everything that you imagine would open multiple windows does not, simply replaces existing.

i noticed you lowerd my rating? why i was simply offereing up that SP2 might not be a wise download and could make things worse. it sounds to me like a setting needs to be fixed. it may look fixed to you but its obviously somthing. there was no need to lower my rep.

I don't know if this is relevant, but there's a similar setting in Windows Explorer.

Tools > Options > General tab

See the "Browse Folders" section, make sure "Open each folder in its own window" is selected.

IE and WinExp share some technology, so maybe...

Thanks everyone for the thoughts. I'll keep plugging away.

p.s. Mr. Type, I didn't lower anyone's rating, someone else musta.

MikeandIke and Mr. Typo,

I moved over to the security forum so that I could post my HJT log.

Finally got back to this today and I've tried a bunch of stuff with no success. A couple other problems have reared their ugly heads since I first posted....I'm actively trying to help myself, but i'm a rookie at best.

Titlle on Thread in Security forum is 'HJT Log - XP SP2, IE6 Problems'

refer to this post on your forums, then follow the link if you need to reference where i got the answer. it is a yahoo problem, which i address on your forum here: http://www.daniweb.com/techtalkforums/post56482.html#post56482 which then has a link to the place i learned of it myself.

spread the word, get this fixed, this isn't a really well known problem. if you posted about this in other forums, please post the answer there as well for all to see. i would appreciate it if i was just now starting to search it, and thank god i found the answer today, i have been tired of trying to fix this today and the last few days.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.