hey guys.

so, suddenly, my Network Controller is unknown. When I go to devices manager and double click it, it comes up as an unknown manufacturer etc.

Unknown Device and Vender, PNPID: VEN_168C&DEV_002B&SUBSYS_E8111113&REV_01

That's what the unknown driver's PNPID is.
It's a Toshiba Netbook - NB205-N311/W

Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

bump...

Ouch.
That ID is for a Atheros AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter.
If it is now unknown, it is time to reinstall its driver. Do that via device manager. You might take the time to see if there is an update available [and with Atheros, that is sometimes no easy task]. Google this: Atheros AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter

Thanks for the reply.

I cannot reinstall the driver, or don't know how to, because it says the driver is completely uninstalled from my system now. It doesn't show up in the devices manager.

Thanks

Ok try this.

Before you do anything remember it could be a blown network card and if you have another one handy replace the card.

But if not...
Uninstall the device from device manager. Power the computer off and pull the plug. Wait for at least a minute plug the system back in and let it boot and attempt to install automatically. IF you try to install without the power off it uses the entry it had for the device which we know is incorrect.

If that fails go to the manufacturers web site and down load the correct driver, delete the device and then run the setup for the driver to install it. It will probably not find the device but will unpack the driver files somewhere you can get to them (C:\swsetup\). Run the hardware installation wizard and tell it you will select the driver to install and use the "Have disk" option to install the driver specifically for the adapter the manufacturer says is in the system.

neither worked.

not sure what to do now.

Did you go to this site... http://www.atheros.cz/download.php?atheros=AR9285&system=2 and dl the driver file, dclick it to install?
Does you network adapter still show in Device Mgr? And if you rclick it and go to Properties, do you have the opportunity to Roll back to a previous driver? Does the driver show?
If the sys is not recognising the PCI\VEN code then it won't know what driver to install.
Right, run regedit, go to this key and expand it [not lclick it]..
HKLM\system\currentcontrolset\enum\PCI
-below it, do you see this code: VEN_168C&DEV_002B&SUBSYS_E8111113&REV_01
Yes? And if you expand that, and then lclick the long hex code do you see a description of the card, driver etc?
No? Then you need to roll back your sys to a date when that info was present. So it's System Restore.... or failing that, Repair, which will take your registry info from the date when you last did a system backup [which is probably when you did the original installation; no-one does system backups, and it is such a sensible thing to do...]. Uninstalling a device and replacing it forces XP to read the hardware ID [your XP is doing that much] and then check its lists of codes [it's failing on this bit]. Long shot... have you tried running...
sfc /scannow -you will need your installation cd.
I don't have time to do this for you, but you should find resources on the web which enable you to import that registry information without a Repair. Start here: http://www.pcidatabase.com

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.