hey everyone there are a few unwanted programs in the startup....i uninstalled them last week since i hardly used them at all and they are off the system. but for some reason they are still showing up in the start up. i dont mean the start menu, im talking about when you go to start>run and type in msconfig and choose the start up tab how do i remove these? any help is greatly appreciated. also can some one read my other thread as well? thanks.

- Dave

Recommended Answers

All 17 Replies

uncheck the box for it. just make sure it isn't a system process.

uncheck the box for it. just make sure it isn't a system process.

i did that for one of them when it was installed but it would make a duplicate....the program is a trusted program but it was hogging to much memory so i uninstalled as well as another program. if i uninstalled them shouldnt it have taken them out of startup tab? if so then is there anyway how i can manually remove them?

- Dave

If you have uninstalled it and it's still in your startup tab, you can delete it from there as well. Is it showing up as a running process via CTRL+ALT+DEL?

nope nothing via CTRL+ALT+DEL how do i go about removing them from that start up tab?

- Dave

Just delete it like anything else.

Start > Programs > Startup (hover your mouse pointer over it) > right-click > delete

start up folder is only showing our adobe gamma loader....could it be that the information is still in the registry?

- Dave

/shrug

I'm definitely not the person to ask about registry stuff. When I delete/uninstall programs, i know that there are still traces of it in the registry so i manually delete it from there.

HK_CURRENT_USER > Software (folder, expand) is where traces remain. But I don't suggest doing this... I don't even know why I do it.

yeah this is very odd i just checked the registry and its not listed in there
maybe a fresh reboot will do it i havent rebooted in a while.

- Dave

A lot of the times, stuff in the registry is under the manufacturer's name, not the program's name itself.

alright ill look again cause i just did a reboot and checked msconfig and guess what? they were still there and they were check marked again.

- Dave

eh, after any changes make sure to click Apply ...

checked through the registry and still nothing :sad:

- Dave

well, i wouldn't sweat it i guess lol. you uninstalled it, it's not running in the background (as far as i can tell but i'm not nearly as knowledgeable as the mods here) and it's not in your registry. Just don't lose sleep over it ;)

i wont im just kind of puzzled cause when i looked under the tab again (just restarted again after unchecking them) theres duplicates of them. in other words it shows them unchecked but then when you look through the checked ones its listed there. i found a program on google that will uninstall start up processes for you...it scans the start up and then lets you choose what you want to remove. i think ill do a hijack this log just in case.

- Dave

ok i check marked them all back in and the duplicates dissappeared i wonder if they stayed in there cause they werent selected and the uninstallation missed them some how?

- Dave

/shrug
computers and their users like to disagree

haha yeah i just downloaded that program i was telling you about its called startup buddy it got rid of them for me....hmm maybe i should make a post about it in the spyware/virus section so if people are having problems with their start up they can just go to that thread? thats if it gets stickied though.

- Dave

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.