I have Windows XP Professional. I understand that one should have just one anti-virus program. I have discovered 2 very good (free) programs, SUPER Antispyware and Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware which have detected and removed/quarantined spyware and malware on my computer. Can I leave them on or will they conflict with my anti-virus software?

Also, Malwarebytes detected many items described as follows:
Vendor: Adware MyWebsearch
Category: File or Folder
Item: c:\program files\mywebsearch\bar\History
and
Vendor: Adware MyWebsearch
Category: File or Folder
Item: c:\program files\funwebproducts\screensaver\Images

This makes me want to remove "MyWebsearch" and "funwebproducts" from my computer but they aren't listed in add/remove programs in the control panel. Can someone tell me, should I get rid of them and if so, where can I find them?

Thank you,

Pamela

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

You can leave both malware scanners on your pc, since they will not conflict with your antivirus.

They are both "scan on demand", which will (should) not make any conflicts with your real time AV-engine, in the free versions.
Just remember to update the malware definitions manually before you use them.

About the malware found (mywebsearch etc.), let mbam handle them.
The missing uninstaller is part of what makes it malware. :)

you can used as many anti-malware you want to use but you only have to use one anti-virus for each pc to avoid conflict. Also, avoid using real-time anti-malware scan like SD Spybot as sometimes will may conflict with either anti-malware and anti-virus...

If malwarebytes marks them as a thread, might be better to remove them... ^^

Thank you both for getting back to me so quickly, but I'm still a little confused. I will remove the items detected by malwarebytes but my concern is how those items got there in the first place. There seems to be a program or programs called MyWebsearch and/or Funwebproducts lurking somewhere in my computer which is producing these threats (adware/malware). So I'd like to get to the root of the problem, ie find and remove MyWebsearch and/or Funwebproducts.

However, it is not listed in add/remove programs in my control panel and I don't know how to find it. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you

Probably it installed to your computer without your knowing, just like rouge anti-virus like to do... Like Jakob said, without a proper uninstall program in add/remove list, it most probably a malware...

It may just installed on your browser only like IE and Firefox. Check their add-ons if both have the program installed on each browser if you want to confirm things up...

MBAM will remove them both, completely. It's the best way, they both spread themselves widely thru your sys/registry; forget manual removal.
You loaded some doubtful app which had them as an accompaniment - you did not read the license conditions, if any.

MBAm is good and will remove most malware, just like what the above experts posters have said:)
You can do a malware scan using MBAm 2 times to make sure all malware is being clean up or removed. Malware remover tool will not conflict with Anti Virus. You might want to try out Spyware Blaster too.

MBAm is good and will remove most malware, just like what the above experts posters have said:)
You can do a malware scan using MBAm 2 times to make sure all malware is being clean up or removed. Malware remover tool will not conflict with Anti Virus. You might want to try out Spyware Blaster too.

Spyware Blaster should be installed after all malware/virus is removed from the system. Also, spyware blaster isn't for scanning for malware, it just prevent fraud websites and malware from entering the system. I also use one and updated every two weeks or so, good to say it protect my computer well enough for 6 month now...

commented: Nice +9

Yup you are right. Spyware blaster is just another additional tool to prevent less malware to enter your system.

Thank you EVERYONE for all your help. Alas, since there's no way for me to get rid of the original trouble-maker, MyWebsearch I'll have to be more careful when downloading programs. Some of them can be pretty sneaky and once they're there, they're like bad guests (they won't leave!) So, thanks again, and I'll mark this thread as solved.

Although I'm a bit late, please try this if you want to remove it completely (not 100% sure if this works though)

Download Mywebsearch (find a good site to download it) and purposely install it on your computer. Once done, uninstall it back...

I would suggest using an uninstaller software to uninstall it. Is Mywebsearch a malware if not, do not go the link i posted above.

It is a program. I've seen it before on my friends computer a while ago. He'd installed it along with a software but he forgot to uncheck it. It should be on the program list but if it's not, try to reinstall the toolbar and uninstall it back...

Some of mywebsearch toolbar also carry malware so watch out when handling those programs...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.