I've got this router that I've used in the past and it worked fine. Recently I've tried to use it again, but something isn't right and I can't put my finger on it.

Its a D-Link DI-604. I'm running Windows XP Home edition. My ISP is SBC DSL using a 2wire 1000SW DSL modem. Running the cat5 cable directly into the PC from the modem works fine. When I run it from the modem to the router, and from the router to the PC, all the lights come on on the router, my PC seems to "think" its connected, but I'm not getting anywhere. What I mean is, my instant messengers automatically try to start signing on, and under my connection settings, it says its connected, packets are flowing, and my default gateway is the usual 192.168.0.1. All my TCP/IP settings are set to DHCP, and option IP/DNS/WINS automatically. So all indications are that I'm connected... but I'm not :confused:

What else should I check that I am probably overlooking?
Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

if you can access your setup page then reset the router to default. I dont know if this works on other routers but it worked with linksys. As long as you can goto your setup page 192.168.0.1 and login with admin, admin your connection should work just login and reset to defaults.

Yeah, I've reset it, rebooted the router, modem, pc... but can't get out. Thanks though.

Did your ISP tell you what your default gateway is? I'm assuming your DSL IP and dns information is coming automatically, but not all do. Do a ping to that default gateway by IP address and see if you have connectivity. Your Internet default gateway is not the 192.168.0.1 address. It could only be DNS that is a problem. Also, if you had the PC directly connected and got an IP from the Internet dhcp server, try doing a ipconfig /release and an ipconfig /renew to get all new info from your dsl router.

I have the exact same router. There are bios updates for it, if you haven't gotten them already. I don't know if it would help, but thought I'd mention it.

http://www.dlink.com

Well I got it to work. I just set my router up on a static IP. I'm probably wrong, but I'm assuming the router had a problem obtaining an IP automatically. Oh well, wasn't exactly what I was wanting to accomplish, but it works so I guess I'll live with it.

If your ISP has set you up to get your IP automatically, then you may have problems down the road if you set it up manually. Did they tell you an IP to set it to? If not, it's entirely possible for the Internet router to assign that IP to someone else and you'll end up with an address conflict.

If your ISP has set you up to get your IP automatically, then you may have problems down the road if you set it up manually. Did they tell you an IP to set it to? If not, it's entirely possible for the Internet router to assign that IP to someone else and you'll end up with an address conflict.

On their website, it says that x.x.x.1-32 is reserved for static ip addressing. I assume it would only be a problem if someone else tried to use the same ip I did.

I've never met an ISP that just allowed you to PICK your ip address. It only becomes a problem when they assign someone that IP, but it's certain to happen.

Hmmm. It looks like the device they gave you Is a dsl router and modem combined and the IP you're configuring is a local private IP address and NOT an Internet IP address that could be assigned to anyone else. They're not giving you access to mess with the Internet IP at all. So as far as I can see, you should be ok.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.