Can anyone help me? I networked 12 computers and want to create a workspace where all the computers can send data and view data from other computers. On the other hand, i want to secure the data in all the computers, which means data can only be viewed on workspace alone but others data in the computer would not be accessible to the other computers .How can I can go about this ? I hope it is clear to you
Thank you
Damson.

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

Hi,

Seems dead simple to me, unless I don't understand your question.

Here is my suggestion,

Create a folder on one of the Workstations, (This must be left powered on all the time, others are working)

Share folder so everyone can read and write.

Map the folder on everyones' PC to same drive letter, say S for shared, so everyone finds it easily.

Tell everyone to use it for sharing files.

Any questions, please come back

Denis

yup, what you basically need is a file server.

or, if you're looking at collaboration, you might want to set up a collaboration server or a wiki.

How do I creat a web server or collaboration server ?
What is a wiki?
I am still very new in Networking.
Thankl you
Damson

yup, what you basically need is a file server.

or, if you're looking at collaboration, you might want to set up a collaboration server or a wiki.

whoa! people study for years to learn all those things. get a professional, or get a book and learn it.

whoa! people study for years to learn all those things. get a professional, or get a book and learn it.

This sort of comment does not help anybody and is totally against the spirit of DaniWeb.

I have been in the computer business over 30 years and I don't know what you mean by 'collaboration server' or 'wiki'

So please explain what you mean

Denis

spirit of DaniWeb never stroke me as something that bends people's hands into acting where google can be used.
If you want to know what a wiki is, or what a collaboration server does, in 30 years in computer business you might have learned the function of search engines. I know I have, in my mere 16 years in IT

ok guys calm down, this is not helping any one, stop before it turns to a cat fight LOL

any way, i beleive a colabaration server is the same thing as a shared work space, basically it allows user to connect and share data, edit files and conference/IM at the same time, in real time, Adobe pro V8 and Microsoft office 2007 have simular features. but i suggest you do a simple file sharing on a file server give each user full acces to the file in a particular directory say workspace. As for each pc and securing other files, this can be done by simple running file and printer sharing wizard and choose the option to make user files secure, ( as long as the root directory is not shared). let us know what is the outcome

simple examples:
collaboration server - MS Exchange, Lotus Notes, Zimbra, eGroupware
wiki - MediaWiki, Wikipedia etc. Sharepoint, IMO would fall into this category as well. So do servers like CVS or Perforce, but they are for code instead of documents

simple examples:
collaboration server - MS Exchange, Lotus Notes, Zimbra, eGroupware
wiki - MediaWiki, Wikipedia etc. Sharepoint, IMO would fall into this category as well. So do servers like CVS or Perforce, but they are for code instead of documents

Thank you

Denis

you are welcome

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.