I just bought a new Laptop after my old one crashed on me. I still have no idea what is wrong with it. My Old laptop was a Toshiba with a Pentium III 650Mhz running the Windows 98 operating system. Whenever I attempt to boot it up, it freezes on the Windows 98 logo, but with two "static-like" lines going through it. Then it simply does not boot up from there. I have managed to get into DOS using the "companion diskette" that came with the laptop and I can see that all of my files are still there. I was wondering if there is any way to transfer those files onto my NEW Laptop which is a Pentium 4 3.06Ghz running Windows XP (besides copying each file to a removable floppy disk one by one).

So given these restrictions (Windows 98 won't start, DOS working only)
is it possible to somehow transfer my files from my old laptop to my new one?
Or will this require professional service?

I am totally lost and would appreciate some help. Thank you!

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

The short answer is "yes", but there are many ways to do this. First of all, do you have a CD burner in your old laptop?

Second: Do you have a network card in either laptop (or both?)

Whenever I attempt to boot it up, it freezes on the Windows 98 logo, but with two "static-like" lines going through it.

Possibly an issue with your video circuitry or driver; can you boot into safe mode?

I cannot Boot into Safe Mode and I do have a network card in both laptops

Can you boot into DOS? If you can at least get to a DOS prompt, we'll probably be able to help you. Try repeatedly pressing "f8" while booting to get a boot menu, and then select "Command prompt only" to boot to DOS.

If you can do that, let me know, and then I'll tell you how to get your network card working in DOS so we can get this stuff copied to your new computer :)

Can you boot into DOS? If you can at least get to a DOS prompt, we'll probably be able to help you. Try repeatedly pressing "f8" while booting to get a boot menu, and then select "Command prompt only" to boot to DOS.

If you can do that, let me know, and then I'll tell you how to get your network card working in DOS so we can get this stuff copied to your new computer :)

Yes, I CAN boot into DOS...can you plesae tell me more?

Okay, next, what kind of network adapter do you have in the windows 98 laptop?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.